• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m5a97 LE R2.0 Crapped out, what happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Trying to avoid any further issues... its being returned to newegg as we speak, not an issue on that end, however, I am curious what possibly could have happened.

When I first got the card, I was able to get a "mostly" stable 4.6ghz around the 1.386 volt mark without adding any other voltages. Then it started crashing after a few days, so I backed it off t 4.5ghz. Worked fine, then that started crashing as well. I upped to voltage to 1.4 mark, and that seemed to help. CPUID voltages were NEVER in line with the bios voltage settings. I.e. the voltage droop was pretty god awful and at "1.4" bios, i was looking around 1.32-1.36 volts best. From there 4.5 stopped working, so I dropped to 4.0 and lowered the voltage to around 1.36 volts iirc. That worked for a couple days, than again, started not working. I said "Screw it" and reset cmos and left it alone. That seemed to be ok, except my computer would freeze randomly requiring a reboot, which is not "ok".

This morning, went to turn on computer... and no joy. Wouldnt even get to the bios screen. It would "turn on" but literally do nothing. I moved all other components to my old mobo, and everything is working fine there, pretty much narrows it down to the motherboard.

Sorry for the novel, I just don't really understand why it would work fine, then crap out, then work fine... etc etc. Any ideas appreciated.

Probably the main culprit is the fact that even though you weren't specific about your CPU the M5A 97 LE is not built to run an FX CPU. I may say it's supported but not really. Even the 4170 doesn't run proper on it.

Probably the main culprit is the fact that even though you weren't specific about your CPU the M5A 97 LE is not built to run an FX CPU. I may say it's supported but not really. Even the 4170 doesn't run proper on it.

Hmm, no wonder then... Thats just outrageous to claim support and have it crap out :-/.

Yeah fx8320.

Believe me I feel the same way, we see our share of 8 cores CPUs matched up with 4 phase boards. They'll even sell them in"combo deals" ????

Hmm, no wonder then... Thats just outrageous to claim support and have it crap out :-/.

Yeah fx8320.

You could probably have put the FX-8320 in the socket and used it as AMD intended with TurboCore on and CNQ and all the other goodies and motored right on along.

BUT that is not what you did. You pushed it to 4.6Ghz with all 8 cores on at 4.6Ghz and the board likely gave up the fight.

Overclocking is in no way warrantied by the motherboard manufacturer. We just all assume one thing when something else is really the truth.
RGone...

You could probably have put the FX-8320 in the socket and used it as AMD intended with TurboCore on and CNQ and all the other goodies and motored right on along.

BUT that is not what you did. You pushed it to 4.6Ghz with all 8 cores on at 4.6Ghz and the board likely gave up the fight.

Overclocking is in no way warrantied by the motherboard manufacturer. We just all assume one thing when something else is really the truth.
RGone...

To be fair, the board claims compatibility with AM3+ AND makes a huge point to talk about how "great" its "over clocking abilities" are.

if adding .04, yes .04 volts, is "over stressing" the board, then perhaps they shouldn't be claiming said "support" for these processors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

some highlights of this product include :

"It is optimized with AMD®'s latest AM3+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance and overclocking capabilities."

" The TPU chip offers precise voltage control and advanced monitoring "

"AMD® Socket AM3+ for AMD® FX Series CPU up to 8-core"

"Achieve extreme yet stable overclocking results automatically with Auto Tuning! "

"It allows users to supervise overclocking, energy management, fan speed, voltage, and sensor readings."

Where is my confusion here? As I said, I never went above 1.4 volts. Stock voltage was 1.36 volts. How is that going "extreme" as you're implying? Edit: I appreciate your side of the fence here, however, I don;t think its quite right that Asus feels comfortable stating all these qualities for the performance of these boards, and then not stand behind them. That said, newegg is taking care of me, so thats not my concern on the matter. I wasn't aware that using a motherboard to its claimed design intentions was "damaging" to it. Now I know not to buy anything from asus again xD

When I saw your first post in forum...

...at that first post, I said Ruh Roh; because most of us overclock differently than the Auto Overclock things do and we wind-up with ALL the cores under load and that is not what AMD designed their FX processors to do. You load it too much when running as AMDintended and the dang thing will downclock its' ownself. But most including myself do not run our FX's that way. When I jump out of idle mode it is 8 cores nailed to the wall. Not just 4 cores at an accelerated speed.

"Achieve extreme yet stable overclocking results automatically with Auto Tuning! "
"It allows users to supervise overclocking, energy management, fan speed, voltage, and sensor readings."

Yep, I agree with most everything you wrote but that Auto Tuning is about all that Asus was referring toward. Let it overclock on Auto and all the Green Stuff will still be working and then the board likely stands a chance.

H*ll man I have felt like the mobo police for "over" two years now. I have told way too many that their stuff was just not going to help them realize that twinkle in their overclocking eye. Hardly!

You are now the known second person to load up and FX processor and run a little bit and the board go belly-up. The other one that I know of for sure was right here in this forum section and "he said", he was going to see how long it would last an it was not over 30 days if memory is accurate.

I hate even sounding like I am taking up for the mobo makers, but in their wording, I bet they have had someone critique it to just inside the law...or they don't give two shetts.

Hope that new mobo works okay for you. One or two users have come thru here with the EXT9 and did pretty good overall. They have not been back after sorting a few little niggles. Somewhat a good sign.
RGone...ster

To be fair, the board claims compatibility with AM3+ AND makes a huge point to talk about how "great" its "over clocking abilities" are.

if adding .04, yes .04 volts, is "over stressing" the board, then perhaps they shouldn't be claiming said "support" for these processors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

some highlights of this product include :

"It is optimized with AMD®'s latest AM3+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance and overclocking capabilities."

" The TPU chip offers precise voltage control and advanced monitoring "

"AMD® Socket AM3+ for AMD® FX Series CPU up to 8-core"

Where is my confusion here? As I said, I never went above 1.4 volts. Stock voltage was 1.36 volts. How is that going "extreme" as you're implying? Edit: I appreciate your side of the fence here, however, I don;t think its quite right that Asus feels comfortable stating all these qualities for the performance of these boards, and then not stand behind them. That said, newegg is taking care of me, so thats not my concern on the matter. I wasn't aware that using a motherboard to its claimed design intentions was "damaging" to it. Now I know not to buy anything from asus again xD

I know youre role here, not contesting what you have to bring to the table. Im just mostly irritated with how computer's are ran now. It used to be a simple process, now its complicated and "layered"; which is nice, but confusing. I read reviews on overclocking potential, ability to handle things, etc, and since im not an AMD expert, I jump on that. Until today, I was under the somewhat impression that motherboards would limit themselves. Seems pretty ridiculous to allow a motherboard to exert passed its boundaries :-/.

Oh well, live and learn.

Month late but I just got a m5a97 r2.0 and a 8320.
The board just confuses the hell out of me. On stock settings 1.37v cpu @3500mgz it hits 50* under load. Change a couple things, lower voltage to 1.28v and it hits 60*? This is a $100 board ffs. My previous was a 955 oc'ed to 4ghz on a $40 mATX with no issues.
It runs hot as hell, vdroop is bad(.08 with LLC off, .01 with LLC on but much higher temps) but I'm running the 8320 @4GHZ (250x16) @1.22v)

Pics are worth many many words.

Get us all on the same page so we can see. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Sorry, don't have any questions just pointing out my findings with the board and CPU.
This is probably the most expensive board I've ever had but seems to be the most finicky. I'm sure the 8320 is the biggest reason why the shortcomings are so evident.

The only thing I can say is you cannot compare the 955 be with the 8320, they are two totally different animals.

most finicky. I'm sure the 8320 is the biggest reason why the shortcomings are so evident.

There have been a number of failures of the lesser boards when pushing an 8 Core FX processor. The voltage regulators on the mobo are not up to feeding that power hungry 8 core cpu when pushed much.
RGone...

I've had nothing but AMD since I started building my PC's. I'm not hardcore about my builds and AMD always fits in the budget better.
Maybe I just don't know any better.

Well quite a bit has changed over the last couple of years. AMD came with a hungry power monster of a 6 and 8 core processor that has Mhz headroom enough but wants huge amounts of power to really use all the headroom and then the sum beeatch becomes a heat monster.

Intel would let you change a multiplier with the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge and then it was ho hum if you wanted to really play with settings, then only AMD was there with a reasonable price point. Intel of course has the socket 2011 series of cpus but do not begin to think they are cheap. Now with the Intel Hazewell cpus there is a bit more to tweak but they too are hEAt monsters in their own right and from one cpu to the next you have no clue if you will get a hot 4.2Ghz cpu or a 4.5Ghz processor that may run really hot or not. That is not much fun either in my book to really feel the roll of the cpu dice. Oh and I forgot one more thing the Hazewell may hand you is cpu Mhz or Memory speed but often not usually a lot of both together. Roll 'em dice.
RGone...ster.

Intel would let you change a multiplier with the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge and then it was ho hum if you wanted to really play with settings, then only AMD was there with a reasonable price point. Intel of course has the socket 2011 series of cpus but do not begin to think they are cheap. Now with the Intel Hazewell cpus there is a bit more to tweak but they too are hEAt monsters in their own right and from one cpu to the next you have no clue if you will get a hot 4.2Ghz cpu or a 4.5Ghz processor that may run really hot or not. That is not much fun either in my book to really feel the roll of the cpu dice. Oh and I forgot one more thing the Hazewell may hand you is cpu Mhz or Memory speed but often not usually a lot of both together. Roll 'em dice.
RGone...ster.
How true indeed, knowing first hand with my heatmonster 4770k.

And I just realized this thread is for the LE R2.0 and I have the "standard" r2.0. Sheesh. My bad.

Back