• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Choosing New Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durvelle27

Registered
I'm looking to build a new rig based around the i7-4770K but i can't decide what motherboard to get. This rig will mostly be for benching and encoding. I'm looking at getting the best board for under $200USD

Boards i'm looking at

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - $189.99
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - $147.99
ASRock Z87 Extreme6 - $142.49
MSI Z87 MPower - $170
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 - $199.99

or should i wait for a Z97 Chipset motherboard

I doubt that Z97 will bring anything good or at least anything that will help in overclocking or general performance.
Maximus IV Hero looks like a good board and some other forum members are satisfied with OC results.
I'm not recommending anything from MSI if you are going to push your CPU higher or generally for benching. They make some good boards but many have the same issues with power section etc. Also couple of their previous boards were overclocking worse than ASUS or ASRock at the same voltages. I didn't test their Z87 boards but I just don't trust them.
Sabertooth is not convincing me. It's like standard ASUS series just looks different.
From ASRock good is OC Formula series but you probably won't find it under $200.
One more board you can check is Gigabyte Z87X-OC. Cheaper than Hero and great for OC.

Back