• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATTN EXPERTS: SPEND MY MONEY $$$!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

desolateabyss

Registered
***UPDATE***

The game has changed. The budget is now $1400. Must include monitor. Feel free to use PC part picker, forget about Best Buy.

***/UPDATE***

So, I've been beating my head against a wall trying to think about what components I should buy for my first PC build.

Here's the bottom line: I have $1,000 to spend and all components must be available through the Best Buy website as that is where my line of credit is. I am in no way an expert on components or PC building and a coworker told me that some of you might be willing to share your expertise. My goal is to be able to run BF4 with the best possible frame rate given the circumstances.

P.S. The build must include a monitor and keyboard.

P.P.S. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro but if you think that that OS is not good enough, please include another OS in the build.

I'm an old, feeble man and I really need your help guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for your help. By the way... first 5 replies get FREE CAKE.**

**the cake is a lie.

Last edited:
Best buy? Ouch.

You are better off getting a Dell. And with os and monitor needed, BF4 fps may not be great. Considering the remainder is around $750.

I would look something amd with the best.gpu you can afford.

At prices to make your head spin compared to say, amazon...

Ok well, it is what it is; call it the Best Buy challenge I guess! If it can't be done it can't be done. Should I buy a pre-made desktop through Best Buy then?

Best buy? Ouch.

You are better off getting a Dell. And with os and monitor needed, BF4 fps may not be great. Considering the remainder is around $750.

I would look something amd with the best.gpu you can afford.

So is XP Pro not going to cut it? I have a copy of that I can use.

I looked at their site and surprisingly its not as bad as I thought it would be. you can get a solid amd system for your budget.

Best Buy sells Amazon gift cards.. I wonder if you can use your Best Buy card to purchase them..

In all honesty, you're really... really doing yourself (and your wallet) a disservice by being limited to a place like Best Buy.. especially since you're paying with a line of credit (no judgment, just saying you might as well put it on a credit card or something and pay interest on your purchases from somewhere else online, you'll come out ahead over what you'd pay at Best Buy). You'd probably be better off buying an OEM machine and sticking a GPU and better PSU in it. Problem is that many OEMs have custom connectors for their power supplies, or the motherboards are limited in space or expandability.

The only way I would seriously purchase components through Best Buy is if they have them in store, because Best Buy (at least around here) price matches e-tailers like Amazon. Otherwise, I'd heavily consider saving up for when you can afford to buy the parts online, or look into opening a line of credit elsewhere...

I looked at their site and surprisingly its not as bad as I thought it would be. you can get a solid amd system for your budget.

Good news! If you can spare a minute, do you have any specific components in mind? You don't have to check if they're available on the BB website or not if you don't have time, I can just see myself. I'll be happy with just a general idea.

I started a build but stopped after 15 mins since everything I tried to get direct from Best Buy was sold-out online. There are other items you can get but they are purchased from 3rd party retailers and I'm not sure if your best buy line of credit would work there.

I started a build but stopped after 15 mins since everything I tried to get direct from Best Buy was sold-out online. There are other items you can get but they are purchased from 3rd party retailers and I'm not sure if your best buy line of credit would work there.

Thanks for trying.

as for your question about XP Pro -- you should invest in a copy of Windows 7 or 8, as M$ support for XP ends on April 14th.

as for your question about XP Pro -- you should invest in a copy of Windows 7 or 8, as M$ support for XP ends on April 14th.

Hooray! :( Thanks for the info... at least I can get Win 7 Home Premium for $89.

Last edited:

I did some homework and any item purchased through the Best Buy website can be purchased using a Best Buy line of credit. It doesn't matter who the vendor is.

Not always, but worth a shot...

yes always.
Linky link
Low Price Guarantee
Online or In Store: Find a Lower Price and We'll Match It.
At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store or shipped from and sold by a designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com®

No not always.

1) the actual item itself must be supported by the "low price guarantee", and not all items are.

2) said items that best buy even has are sometimes limited in scope to best buy. This means there's some small change that keeps the item separate to the comparable product listed.

3) they will find ways around it. I can't find any fine print, but its there somewhere.

ive used it a few times, showing the newegg/amazon/ncix page on my phone, and they have always given me the price match, no questions asked.

Back