• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fake PFC coil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore

Registered
how about that?Speechless...
150120141668.jpg
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 150120141669.jpg
    150120141669.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 150120141670.jpg
    150120141670.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 2,205
are you for serious!???!???! sweet jeebus. that is insane. that should be illegal.

thats why the sticker says never remove the cover :D rofl

also a reason why you should always buy one of the psu's from the recommended list.

That is the one,wanted to thank you,Pierre
madhatter
peanutbudder
hokiealumnus
for pointing it out...

1375928691761.jpg

What I'm wondering is, how much money does that save over an actual coil? I mean, a solid chunk of metal like that can't be THAT much cheaper...

They can manufacturer small concrete blocks on the cheap, add a $60 price tag per chunk, throw it in a metal container and voila! Your new PSU!

The ironic thing is that PFC does little or no good for home use machines in the US. Therefore, if the rest of the PSU was good quality (it won't be), fake PFC would actually be better than real PFC.

I have read that in commercial applications, PFC only nets a savings if the PFC stage itself is at least 95% efficient. That's generally the case at 240V and 208V, but generally not at 120V.

What I'm wondering is, how much money does that save over an actual coil? I mean, a solid chunk of metal like that can't be THAT much cheaper...
One Chinese electrical engineer wrote that management was fanatical about cutting costs and cared almost nothing about anything else.

I have a USB 2.0 hub where segments of solder were melted only at the ends, probably because it was cheaper than melting the segments entirely.

Back