• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help pushing my i5 3570k towards 5ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLoki

Hey all!

I've recently swapped my build to watercooling, and delidded my 3570k. I'm trying to overclock a bit more aggressively since I now have the cooling capacity for it.

1.25v does it for 45x (4.5Ghz). I might be able to push that lower, but temps were < 60°C so I really didn't bother.

I've had to push as high as 1.4v for 48x, temps are just barely topping 70°C now with LinX/IBT

BIOS Settings as they currently sit:
BCLK:100
Asus MultiCore Enhancement:Disabled
Turbo Ratio: 45 (all cores)
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Auto
DRAM speed: DDR3 1600
CPU Voltage: Manual

Voltages:
VCore: 1.25v
VCCSA: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
PCH: Auto
DRAM DATA on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA on CHB: Auto
DRAM CTRL on CHA: Auto
DRAM CTRL on CHB: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
BCLK Recovery: Auto

DRAM Command: 2T, all timings set to memory spec (8-8-8-24)

SpeedStep is enabled

DIGI+ Power Control:
LLC: Ultra-High (75% vdroop compensation)
CPU Voltage Freq: 350
CPU Power Phase Control: Auto
CPU Power Duty Control: 140%
CPU Power Thermal Control: 130
CPU Power Response Control: Auto
DRAM Current Capability: 100%
DRAM Voltage Freq: Auto
DRAM Power Phase Control: Auto
DRAM Power Thermal Control: 110

C1E, C3, C6, etc all disabled

This might just be me, but I get kinda uneasy about throwing a chip more than 1.4v... but, the last time I really pushed an overclock to milk a chip for all its worth was back with a Q6600 that could barely make 3.6 and a QX6850 that I very nearly got to 4ghz on water.

After that it was an i7 920 on air that lived at 3.8Ghz for most of it's time with me lol

I believe I can get there, the question I have is the voltage that's going to be required (likely 1.47-1.48v) safe to run on a normal, 24/7 basis provided that I can keep the chip cool enough?

Also, any tips on BIOS settings to tinker with would be much appreciated.

Internal PLL Overvoltage must set to Enable if you want to go above 45x. I would set LLC to 100%.
Other than that, just pushing up the vcore if you want more MHz. FYI, i was able to do 46x with 1.16 but i need 1.26 for 48x. You may expect a huge jump in vcore if you go higher than 47x.

4Ma0mRe.jpg

Voltage walls and when you need to enable pll override will vary with the cpu in hand...there are not set rules for it. I also thought we didn't touch pll override for Ivybridge... That was a Sandybridge thing. For 24/7 I woukdnt go over 1.45v though regardless of temps.

Thanks for the input guys. I did some more fussing with it last night and I couldn't even get 50x to boot with 1.5v
I don't think this chip has 5ghz in it at any reasonable vCore. It might do it at a bit higher, but I'm not comfortable pushing the vCore any higher.

Dropped back to 48x and am trying to get a stable clock there. 1.4v made it though several passes of LinX, but failed when running 3dmark, and caused some other apps to crash. It took 1.415v to get 3dmark to complete, but some other apps still crashed. Going to spend some time with Prime95 this weekend methinks.

Thanks for the input guys. I did some more fussing with it last night and I couldn't even get 50x to boot with 1.5v
I don't think this chip has 5ghz in it at any reasonable vCore. It might do it at a bit higher, but I'm not comfortable pushing the vCore any higher.

Dropped back to 48x and am trying to get a stable clock there. 1.4v made it though several passes of LinX, but failed when running 3dmark, and caused some other apps to crash. It took 1.415v to get 3dmark to complete, but some other apps still crashed. Going to spend some time with Prime95 this weekend methinks.
iLoki I learned the hard way with my 2500k there comes a point where it just will not do higher no matter what cooling or voltage you put into it. My 2500k did 5.3 on Air for benching and 4.7 24/7. On sub ambient H2O it still would not go higher, then 5.3, no matter what I tried, even with 1.6 Cpu V.

iLoki I learned the hard way with my 2500k there comes a point where it just will not do higher no matter what cooling or voltage you put into it. My 2500k did 5.3 on Air for benching and 4.7 24/7. On sub ambient H2O it still would not go higher, then 5.3, no matter what I tried, even with 1.6 Cpu V.

Totally agree. Like I said this chip *may* get to 5ghz at some point over 1.5v, but I'm not willing to push it that far, and there's no guarantee that it will get there even over 1.5v

I can get 4.7ghz 100% stable. If I can get 4.8 stable under 1.45v then I will leave it there and call it good.

Back