Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Need ur opinion: Cable or ADSL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-15-02, 07:57 AM Thread Starter   #1
The Coolest

10 Year Badge

Need ur opinion: Cable or ADSL

Hey guys!
I hopefully will soon be moving to either ADSL or Cable conn (if my mom agrees) and I wanted to ask what u think is better? I still don't know the specs of the cable connection, but I do know the specs of ADSL, it will be the cheapest I can get, therefore relatively slow, around 50-60KB/s?
The cable prolly also will be the cheapest choise, so what do u think I should get, I also know that the installation will be cheaper on the cable also

Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 or 8800 Ultra / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.
Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Heatware
The Coolest is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-15-02, 08:43 AM   #2
rugby
King of Cats Senior

Usually cable downloads faster than dsl. check out dslreports.com and their forums for researching the companies involved and that will give you a better understanding of what's going on.

Real men overclock macs with a soldering gun.
rugby is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-15-02, 08:48 AM Thread Starter   #3
The Coolest

10 Year Badge

OK, then I guess Cable it will be, only one other question, will Q3A work in Internet well? like what are the upload speeds of Cable are they enough to play on 2 comps on the net?

EDIT: I now have both computers connected straight to each other (no switches/hubs/routers) and was wondering if I still will be able to use the ICS (inet conn sharing)? even if I'll add a second LAN card will I be able to use ICS?

Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 or 8800 Ultra / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.
Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Heatware

Last edited by The Coolest; 03-15-02 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 01:09 PM   #4
AMD'er

10 Year Badge

you should really check you the area you live in. Although cable sometimes download faster than DSL, its speed depends upon how many people in your area has Cable. If your entire neighbor hood is running on a cable connection, then all hell will break loose when everyone decides to get online (6:00pm-1:00am) so know you are better off with DSL which would give you a more stable connection speed. but the same thing sometimes happen with DSL but not as often as it does with cable

R.I.P (2002-2006) to the following Machine!!!
P4 2.6C @ 3.32
IC7G
512 HyperX 3500
ATI 9800 Pro
Words of Wisdom:
A Wise Man Once Said..."I PITTY DA FOOL"
AMD'er is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 12:20 AM   #5
cjlax5

cable all the way, u will have no prob with two comps playing RA3 online at the same time...i do it.
cjlax5 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 02:20 AM   #6
Warlord2

I have cable and dsl right now and can tell you cable is faster at downloading and uploading HOWEVER dsl does not get you nearly the packet loss cable gives you.

dsl doesnt have nearly the bandwidth cable does so I would go with cable unless there are many people on your node or you start getting bad packet loss.
Warlord2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 03:03 AM   #7
PsycoPhreak

Quote:
Originally posted by AMD'er
speed depends upon how many people in your area has Cable. If your entire neighbor hood is running on a cable connection, then all hell will break loose when everyone decides to get online (6:00pm-1:00am)
While cable is alot faster than DSL, it is a myth about cable and one of it's biggest downfalls being that it's a shared bandwidth.

Of course cable is shared among whoever is on your local node, but what most people don't know is that DSL is shared as well, the only part about DSL being a "dedicated" connection is from your house to the company your phone line is connected to, after that, it's also shared, from the company out to the internet.

I had DSL, and when peak time occured, ( roughly around the times AMD'er suggested ) my conection speed would drop, and my latency would go through the roof, and being that it wasn't as fast as cable, the conection suffered more, as well as i did trying to DL things or play a game online.

So cable is the better bet considering it offers more speed over DSL, I'd go with cable. the whole "shared bandwidth" thing is just an advertising ploy to get people to go with DSL instead of cable...hey, they have to make their money somehow right?
PsycoPhreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-16-02, 08:04 AM Thread Starter   #8
The Coolest

10 Year Badge

OK... My problem now is that I don't have a router of any kind and was wandering if I install one would it hurt my LAN speed that the MAXes at 10MB/s w/ both comps connected to each other straight, w/ only one cable?

Secondary rig:

Heatware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.