• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network expantion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brimw234

Registered
Ok my situation im not sure is uncommon but defiantly difficult, me and my mom just moved in with her boyfriend and I the existing network is not strong enough to run my custom built pc xbox and my laptop.

To make things even more dicey the network provider is U-Verse. what I want to do is to some how put my Linksys router on the network with a different SSID and different password. Isolating the makeshift cloud I have via the usb ports on the router, and it has to be at least powerful enough to let me use all my devices.

First of all, the Gateway that's supplied with U-verse should be more than adequate to provide appropriate signal and bandwidth to 3 devices. Sounds to me like you're just wanting your own private network piggybacked on top of the one that's already there.

In that case, all you need to do is purchase an additional router, plug it in, configure it to your liking, and connect to it rather than the U-verse gateway.

Are your laptop and xbox connecting to the network via wireless or wired? I would assume via wireless and if this is the way it is how far away are you from the U-verse gateway/router? Are you on the same floor with it? Wireless signals weaken with distance and when having to penetrate floors and walls. I'm not familiar with U-verse as an internet provider. Is this DSL or cable technology?

It is dsl and im adding two compters and xbox to a system that already has 7 wireless tv boxes 3 laptops, another xbox, 2 desktops, 9 phones two printers and 3 smart tvs, and a a micro cell tower. My desktop is a network hog, i pluged it into the gateway and it sucked up so much it crashed the gateway. One of the big things two is i have one of the liksys routers with usb ports and i have two tb of memory pluged into it as cloud space and i want to make it so that way no one but me can accesses this storage so im talking subnetwork and isolation

That's a huge amount of stuff on one residential network feed. And if it's DSL that can be even more limiting. At least in my community Comcast cable's bandwidth is many times that of the DSL available to us. Have you done a Speedtest.net assessment of your link speed? I get 80 mbps sometimes (wired) with my cable service when I do Speedtest.net assessment and even at the far end of the house I will sometimes get 20-25 mbps with wireless devices. Max available DSL service in my community is like 5 mbps.

See this is why i want to put a subnet so i can somewhat isolate my self from that stuff

See this is why i want to put a subnet so i can somewhat isolate my self from that stuff

Thing is, if you're connected to the same modem you're still going to be fighting all those devises for bandwidth, Your only hope would be to get a dedicated line just for your self.

Brimw234, Think of the internet feed coming into your house as if it were a water pipe coming into your house from the streetthat can deliver 100 gallons of water per minute. Connected to that one supply line are three sinks, two showers, and a washing machine and a dishwasher and three toilets. You notice that when you are take a shower and someone else in the house flushes a toilet or starts the dishwasher or the washing machine your water pressure at the shower head drops off to a trickle. So you say to our self, I'm going to have a plumber install a "T" in that line going from the street through the yard and have him run a separate pipe to my bathroom so I have my own supply and so the water pressure won't drop. The problem is, you're still only dealing with a total flow of 100 gallons per minute so it won't improve the pressure at your shower head. To fix the problem you would have to have a separate line installed all the way from the curb where the main trunk line runs down the street and then run it into your bathroom alone.

In no how works I want to be isolated because I have a network cloud system and I run game servers of my desktop. I don't want there to be the ability for anyone to get on the wifi and get on my cloud or start messing whith the remote desktop.

Not to mention the fact that I still don't even know how im going to connect the router my cloud is built off of to the gateway. I cant just drop a cat-5 in the middle of the floor to cross the house.

sounds to me like you just need a faster internet connection and need to stop seeding torrents, i run alot of traffic through my uverse.. i have the 24/3 package though.

I find it difficult to believe that you have 30 devices on the network, but I guess that's beside the point. It's obvious that your end goal is to segregate the network traffic of your devices from the rest of the house. To do that, you need to buy another router, plug it in to the gateway, and configure it with its own SSID, on a different channel, and set up the security however it pleases you. Then, connect all of your devices to your router's network rather than the Uverse. When that's done, no one will be able to access your devices without logging into the wifi network that you configured.

If you're looking to do this secretly (which it sort of seems like you are since you're so concerned about isolating traffic and protecting your machine from people poking around on the network) so your mom doesn't know what you're doing, then you're pretty much out of easy options. You can set the router to not broadcast the SSID, but I'm sure she'll still question where you got another router, and why it's plugged in to her gateway.

If all your after is to protect your devices from unwanted access, all of that can be done at the software level, no need to break it out into it's own network.

I have a linksys high trafic router and i down want them to remote onto my computer when iv got a remote protocal and i dont want them to be able to use my cloud, and im worried about the fact that they drag viruses into that nework all the time and i self host tekkit servers so im putting alot of people at rist just cuz my ssid is the same as theres

so plug the usb drive into your computer and change your password so they cant remote in. as ofcourse no one can remote in without a password.

does anyone in your family know how rdp works?! lol sorry for asking but no one in my family would have any idea what i said if i said rdp.

share the usb drive from your computer over the network, and enable password protected sharing.
and you probably shouldnt be hosting game servers over wireless.

uverse is gonna suck hosting more than one minecraft server. specially if you have one of the lower tier connections.

keep the naughty files you dont want anyone to find in a password protected RAR file ;)

keep the naughty files you dont want anyone to find in a password protected RAR file ;)

TBH, I think this is what it really boils down to for the OP. If you properly password protect everything you want to hide, then you'll be fine.

If you already have a Linksys router, I don't understand what problem you're having. Plug your Linksys router into the Gateway, plug your laptop into the router, go to the router's configuration interface (192.168.1.1 probably), enable wireless, set a password and encryption, change the SSID, etc. Unplug your laptop, connect to your Linksys wifi, donezo.

My original problem is that i want to keep my router that my printer a hdd is pluged into with me not somewhere else but the gateway is on the other side of the house and i dont know what i can do to connect the two

You can use a wireless bridge (or another router in bridge mode) to connect the two.. I don't think it can be done with just a single device (at least not a consumer grade one, I don't think).

The easiest alternative is to do what I mentioned above, and just plug your printer and external drives into your PC and share them that way.

But now i still have to to plug the pc into the wired and i cant use my printer from my laptop and my wireless drive is how i file transfer between the pc and laptop

But then the pc still has no internet, eitherway i need a line on the eiternet port of the pc so again getting a line from the gateway acrost the house

Brimw234, those red squiggles under the words you type mean you misspelled them.

Last edited:
Back