• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Bios Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Well I thought it is about time to learn a little more about some of the settings in the Bios. From reading through many posts it seems that the settings for HT Link Freq. & CPU_NB Freq. is all over the board as far as what people feel is correct. Some say to set them to 2xxx & have them equal. Others say set to specific values & not equal. Then I also read that they don't really matter much as all. Is there any general agreement on settings?
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 81
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 78
  • spd.PNG
    spd.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 78
Hi, oh sorry. I was interested in the settings for when I'm OCing.
I figured that.
What I meant was, are you gaming, benching, 24/7 OC, etc. :)
All in all, you're not in bad shape where you are.
Example of my bencher.

Attachments

• image_id_1078046.jpeg
    image_id_1078046.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I figured that.
What I meant was, are you gaming, benching, 24/7 OC, etc. :)
All in all, you're not in bad shape where you are.
Example of mine.
Well I'm not a gamer I just like to play around with OCing & benching to see how it's doing with the OC. It doesn't run 24/7 & I don't keep it OCed all the time.

Easy then. You max them out at whatever you can stay stable enough to do what you do. There really is no hard fast guideline. Crunchers need much more stability, so you won't see them go so high. Benchers will be quite a bit higher. Gamers and general stuff will be somewhere in between.

Easy then. You max them out at whatever you can stay stable enough to do what you do. There really is no hard fast guideline. Crunchers need much more stability, so you won't see them go so high. Benchers will be quite a bit higher. Gamers and general stuff will be somewhere in between.
Match them or just work with them separately & see what each will run stable?

papadan if it's going to be for daily usage then what you have set is good. If you're going to see how it runs certain benches then playing around with the Ht, Nb, Memory and clock speeds per bench is the best way. Most importantly take notes!!!!! Certain benches it's all about the clock speeds others the memory will help a great deal, as well as the Nb Freq and Ht Link. Some benches will utilize all the core some will only use 1 or 2, some are more Gpu dependent.

Match them or just work with them separately & see what each will run stable?
I work them separately. It was just a fluke on this chip that they wound up the same. Most of the time, in my case, they're not. Also, my HT link frequency is generally always less than the NB frequency. You gain almost nothing running the HT link much over stock.

papadan if it's going to be for daily usage then what you have set is good. If you're going to see how it runs certain benches then playing around with the Ht, Nb, Memory and clock speeds per bench is the best way. Most importantly take notes!!!!! Certain benches it's all about the clock speeds others the memory will help a great deal, as well as the Nb Freq and Ht Link.

THIS ^^^ ;)

papadan if it's going to be for daily usage then what you have set is good. If you're going to see how it runs certain benches then playing around with the Ht, Nb, Memory and clock speeds per bench is the best way. Most importantly take notes!!!!! Certain benches it's all about the clock speeds others the memory will help a great deal, as well as the Nb Freq and Ht Link. Some benches will utilize all the core some will only use 1 or 2, some are more Gpu dependent.
Learning a lot this morning, Thanks. Is there a general max value you would want to run on a daily basis?

I work them separately. It was just a fluke on this chip that they wound up the same. Most of the time, in my case, they're not. Also, my HT link frequency is generally always less than the NB frequency. You gain almost nothing running the HT link much over stock.
Lots of good info here, what is considered stock for HT Link?

it all depends on what your doing at the time.
when i run a cfd simulation it can take days to complete, my cpu/nb is around 2200 and my ht is locked to it and my ram speed is low with loose timmings, if it crashes I am out big time, so it is as stable as i can get it, all voltages are pretty high also.

benching, cpu/nb is as high as i can get it, my ram speed is as high as i can get it and my timmings are as tight as i can get them, if it crashes benching , who cares.
the ht link gets me nothing so i run it 2000 lower than the cpu\nb because it seems a little more stable for me like that.

my 24/7 clock is some place in between.

the dolks guide has so in it about clocking these buses and would make a good read.

it all depends on what your doing at the time.
when i run a cfd simulation it can take days to complete, my cpu/nb is around 2200 and my ht is locked to it and my ram speed is low with loose timmings, if it crashes I am out big time, so it is as stable as i can get it, all voltages are pretty high also.

benching, cpu/nb is as high as i can get it, my ram speed is as high as i can get it and my timmings are as tight as i can get them, if it crashes benching , who cares.
the ht link gets me nothing so i run it 2000 lower than the cpu\nb because it seems a little more stable for me like that.

my 24/7 clock is some place in between.

the dolks guide has so in it about clocking these buses and would make a good read.
Thanks for the info. What is a cfd sim. What would be the symptoms of the CPU_NB being too high? I have read Dolks a couple of times there just seems to be so many different views on this subject. It's very good I'm getting this much input so I can put it all together & digest it.

computational fluid dynamics, I am designing intake and exaust systems right now, my setup for it displays a visual set of pictures, or a movie if you will, of the airflow and pressures through the system that is another tool in seeing how it moves through the system.

Back