• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something doesn't seem right with my H80i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_Jay_

I installed my H80i a few nights ago after I put in a new Mobo and PSU. I thought that because it is a Liquid Cooler, it would make my computer run cooler than when I was running my Hyper 212 EVO. Instead, it is running 5-6 degrees hotter than before. That shouldn't be right should it?

Corsair H80i at idle:

HWM-H80i.jpg

CM Hyper 212 EVO at idle:

Untitled11.jpg

Nope the evo is better than the h80i
The fx chips put out some heat
A 100i is about the smallest aio that would work
Custom loop will be best

Nope the evo is better than the h80i
The fx chips put out some heat
A 100i is about the smallest aio that would work
Custom loop will be best

So does that mean I shouldn't OC with this cooler then?

Idle temps mean nothing cause the sensors read off till the cpu is loaded
Run Prime on blend mode for 20 mins with hwmonitor open and see what temps you get

All it really means is, don't get sucked up by "Liquid Cooling" being thrown around by people who use those AIO units or labeled on sites. If you got better temps with your 212 Evo I would re-install the Evo and then try to sell the H80, just check your load temps first. I'm sure there's someone who can use it in a cramped space or something to not be able to fit a traditional cooler.

^^^This^^

I get 4.5Ghz overclock on mine on my air cooler and the 212 evo is better than mine
Most of the bigger tower coolers out do the Aio units

let's see some load temps.
an fx 8 core makes a lot of heat and most all in one units are to small for most of them.

most 8 core fx processors need a 3x120 rad setup to really clock.
please reset your bios to stock, reboot, open hardware monitor, click file, click save monitor data, please post that report here.

Hold it guys. lol You first have to realize his idle temps is 6c which rounds up to 43 F which means his ambient temp must be cooler than that. Running your PC outside? I think those temps are way off first and foremost. 2nd you need to run Prime95 for 30 mins and than show the difference from both coolers.

The H80i isn't a bad cooler and may beat a EVO in certain situations imo. Its a much thicker rad if not the thickest out of all the 120.1 AIOs. I know because I own one. The H50/H55/H60/H70 on the other hand aren't worth the money imo. All are thin radiators with different fan configurations. The H80i/EVO would outperform those AIOs imo. The only thing better from those two would be the 120.2 AIO. The best is when you custom water cool. End of story. :p

Just my 2 cents. :D

My computer is right next to my sliding patio door. It's not 43 farenheight in my living room obviously lol but there is a cold Draft that hits the tower from that door. Probably 5 to 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house which is set at 67.

I'll run Prime95 when I get home in half and let you know.

Ok here it is after running Prime 95 for 30 mins

Load-Temp.jpg

This is what my old board, psu and cooler ran after Prime 95 for 30 mins

Untitled16.jpg

Actually the test isn't accurate, With the H80 it's maxing out at 1.38 Cpu V and on the old board with the Evo it's maxing out at 1.44, so the it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

So what does that mean? My cpu is undervolted on this board/psu?

So what does that mean? My cpu is undervolted on this board/psu?
No what it means is, if both screen shots were taken at stock clock speeds, that the crappy ASUS M5A78L-M board you had it on was suppling more voltage to keep the processor happy then the Sabertooth does. This is because the Sabertooth has a more robust Vrm section, which will provide cleaner more efficient power to the Cpu.

Additionally, because your temps were about the same with higher voltage when the Evo was on the 8320, if you overclock the Cpu the Evo may perform better the the H80i.

With my 990fx/[email protected] under a 80i I idle around 30C and max around 48C. Max temp is dependent on fan rpm. Back the fans down to a tolerable noise level (subjective) and I would max around 55C. The same config under my 212 EVO would idle about 4C lower and max out about 4C higher, but with less fan noise.

In my experience with the EVO and 80i, both are close in heat dissipation capabilities, too many variables for a true comparison.

If you want to run at lower temps then you need more rad, a 120.2 minimum. The CM Glacer 240L is a very good AIO that is expandable, lot of peeps are running cpu/gpu (single) with the 240l, a 120.3 would be better of course. I have a 240L with cpu/EK vrm-nb block, and a single bay xspc res. Flow is 0.7Gpm, about the minimum you need. This is the quietest system I have to date with a pair of Noc F12pwm's.

Back