• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to this & Need your help w/ AMd clocking please!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrafficGoldmine

First of all let me say where in the hell has this forum been all my life :p i can't believe i was unaware of it until just yesterday :p better late than never I suppose! My name is Jon and I am a full time PsyD Student - working as an independent webmaster to pay the bills (i run a few large affiliate networks in various niche's as well as social media marketing service companies)

I have a (getting old) Acer laptop which has literally been one of the best $200 bucks I have ever spent in my life, starting to get over crowded and bogged down. Should I even worry about overclocking, what will this reveal to me in regards to being able to optimize the core of the cpu itself from the ware and tear of the past few years of programming / daily use.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your time & Any responses would be a huge help. I am such a green horn that i am not entirely sure what specs you need from me to give your opinion, but please ask and i will be happy to post the specs of the laptop in full or specifically what you need :)

Welcome, Jon!

Unfortunately, there is little to no overclocking that can be done on laptops. First, the bios lacks tools to do so and second, the cooling is already marginal such that the extra heat produced by overclocking would endanger the machine.

Welcome, Jon!

Unfortunately, there is little to no overclocking that can be done on laptops. First, the bios lacks tools to do so and second, the cooling is already marginal such that the extra heat produced by overclocking would endanger the machine.

thank you for the warm welcome trents, even though i am technically in the wrong section for introductions i figured i would kill 2 birds with 1 stone

and I appreciate your words of wisdom regarding the laptop - I appreciate not being torn apart limb from limb for asking such a question then (such as they do on webhosttalk) lol

but it is funny since i am not as technically proficient as my friend who works on my laptop when need be, but he was swearing it would help if we 'overclocked it' what could he have meant?? :facepalm:

He's correct, it would help but it's not likely even possible. Acer in particular is a very inexpensive laptop solution to start with. So the odds of any OC options as Trents said are next to nil.Alos cooling WILL be an issue. The best thing I did for my wife's laptop was to put a larger and faster HardDrive in it. Went form a 160GB 5400rpm to a 750GB 7200 rpm, there was a noticeable difference in loading speeds.

And even better, if you can afford it, is putting in an SSD drive. Those babies dramatically reduce boot up and program load times. 250 gb SSD drives can be had for around $150 on sale. If you need more storage than that, Seagate makes a 750 gb, hybrid drive for around $140 that gives noticeable improvement in boot up times over a conventional hard disk. But if you go that Seagate hybrid drive way, make sure you get the XT version as the non XT version is only a 5400 rpm drive and they aren't very forthcoming about advertising that fact. I think WD has also recently come out with a hybrid drive.

Back