• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving contacts from HTC to Samsung Galaxy S3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Hey guys,

I'm trying to move my daughters contacts from her HTC One S (now with a broken screen :bang head) to a new Samsung S3.

Thing is, for the life of me, I can't find an easy way to do this, and that I've never had a Samsung phone isn't helping.

I found the app "smart switch"
But it only works from Samsung phone to Samsung phone.
Their PC app with the same name, doesn't work with the likes of HTC, LG and a whole lot of others.

Anyone here ever moved contacts from the likes of an HTC to S3 ?
And if so, is there a free easy way to do this ?

Did she hook up a GMail account and have contacts set to save there? When I went from an Atrix to an S3, I simply logged back into my google account on the S3 and all my contacts and everything were there.

You can export contacts to a file from the Contacts/People app

She has a GMail account, the phone still works, all be it with a broken screen. She wouldn't have it back up to that (or a least I'd say she doesn't)
This is for all the phone numbers, So GMail saves them as well, if you ask it to ?

I did an export to file, but it doesn't tell you where it saved it to (the full path to that folder) and when you search the phone for the folder "contacts0" or the VCF file by name, it doesn't come up......odd.

Mine goes to /mnt/sdcard/00001.vcf when I pick to export to storage (also has the option for export to sdcard)

Use a file browser to go there and see if that's where it put yours.

No SD card slot on the One S :(

When you export it, it only says something like, saved to "/contacts0/pcs_pcs00001.vcf (or something close to that)

I hooked it up to my PC, yet my browser couldn't find said file or folder.
At work right now, but will have yet another look tonight for said file.
That, or I'm going crazy lol

I would look for it on the phone then move it to a different location so you can find it on the computer.

Or you could email it to yourself.

Good idea, I'll try that.

My daughter has/had my old hand me down in the One S
I'm using the newer "One" I just tried saving it on that.

It called it pcsc_pcsc_001.vef

Hooked the phone to my laptop, a search of the internal storge with my browser for "001"
It popped up in like 1sec, then about 5 other things with 001 in their name.

No idea why it didn't work on her's last night, but as I said, I'll try your idea and see if I can find it on the phone and e-mail.
Or maybe when she dropped it (how it got the broken screen) it now has other issues.

Back