• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my MOBO DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

I am unbelievably displeased at the moment. Received my brand new ASROCK Fatal1ty killer 990fx motherboard today.

Everything looked great, inspected for any damage, nothing seemed out of place. Very very well packaged.

My process ->

- Socks off, standing on plastic
- take mobo out of the box and bag, and place on top of cardboard box
- remove installed fan mount
- install CPU (arrows matching direction), 100% positive on proper installation
- installed brackets for hyper 212
- installed hyper 212
- installed ram, ensured proper seating
- installed graphics card, ensured proper seating
- placed mother board on test bench (its made of wood with standoffs)
- installed ATX power supply, and 6+2 power supply into the 8 pin slot.
- installed sata drives

- installed power switch, turned on PSU, and nothing. Nothing at all.

Fans dont spin, nothings chirping, nothing is beeping, its literally doing nothing.

So

I removed all RAM, graphics card, and removed power connectors. Then installed 1 slot of ram, triple checked PSU connections to motherboard are proper.

Still nothing. I used 3 ram sticks in all 4 positions, no dice.

I removed everything again, triple checked orientation of everything. Removed and reinstalled CPU

NOTHING. :argue::bang head:bang head:mad::mad::mad:

I tried shorting the switch out, I tried the PSU in another motherboard/cpu, ram is brand new, and worked fine in other computer.

I need a doctor to pronounce time of death before I go pester newegg.

Well since you know everything else is working it sure sounds as if the board is DOA.

I am the collossus of stupid.

My friggin 6+2 pin doesn't work. I ran a voltmeter on everything, and everything was great, except my PSU just doesn't have a working 6+2. Installed the 4pin, and BAM that bad boy booted right up...

I am the collossus of stupid.

My friggin 6+2 pin doesn't work. I ran a voltmeter on everything, and everything was great, except my PSU just doesn't have a working 6+2. Installed the 4pin, and BAM that bad boy booted right up...

If I'm not mistaken, the 6+2 is PCI-E.

The 8 pin cpu is 4 pin break away. Your using the wrong power line any ways.....

If I'm not mistaken, the 6+2 is PCI-E.

The 8 pin cpu is 4 pin break away. Your using the wrong power line any ways.....

Yep what he said. I saw that right off read it again and thought the same that's a GFX connector.
No worries bob we all do silly shett at times. :facepalm:

Well that explains it damnit!

I'll give myself a giant face palm on this one.

- installed ATX power supply, and 6+2 power supply into the 8 pin slot. = Saw that one coming as I read it...but if your power supply does not have an 8 pin 12V EPS power connector to the cpu, it must be not so new.

Even many at the time of change over had 2x4 pin cpu connectors that would index together for fitting into an 8 pin cpu connector.

I cannot see 'what' power supply you have by model number etc, and I don't see which cpu you have but it might be a good idea to take a look at what the P/S has for a +12V rail in amps etc.
RGone...

- installed ATX power supply, and 6+2 power supply into the 8 pin slot. = Saw that one coming as I read it...but if your power supply does not have an 8 pin 12V EPS power connector to the cpu, it must be not so new.

Even many at the time of change over had 2x4 pin cpu connectors that would index together for fitting into an 8 pin cpu connector.

I cannot see 'what' power supply you have by model number etc, and I don't see which cpu you have but it might be a good idea to take a look at what the P/S has for a +12V rail in amps etc.
RGone...

Im using a corsair tx700, basically the same as a cx650 just apparently without an 8 pin. Its not too old, 1 year, 2 months old from ordering date.

But yes, definitely a facepalm worthy mistake I made lol.

It's 80+ certified, hasn't had any issues at all besides this little snafu haha.

Im using a corsair tx700, basically the same as a cx650 just apparently without an 8 pin. Its not too old, 1 year, 2 months old from ordering date.

But yes, definitely a facepalm worthy mistake I made lol.

It's 80+ certified, hasn't had any issues at all besides this little snafu haha.

You might have bought a short time ago in like a year or so but bought just at the time of 'change-over' of their vaious models.

You should have something like this on a power supply less than about 5 years old. At the least.

2 conn 8 pin.gif

Yeah, I have 2 x 4 in right now. I just "***"umed the 6+2 would work haha.

Back