• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best board for FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karikapu

Registered
im wondering whats the best board to pair with my FX6300 and ASUS GTX660OC DC2 card.. im planning to overclock it so i can get the best out of all the games im playing.. im looking at the sabertooth 990fx R2 and the ASrock 990fx extreme4 but im having a hard time getting them coz im in the philippines. wondering if you can give me some alternate MOBOs that i can look for that has 990fx on it too?

thanks in advance.. :)

In your signature you show to BE running an FX-6300 at 4.4Ghz already. You building another sysetem or you trying to get more than 4.4Ghz out of the FX-6300 you have already???

sabertooth 990fx R2 >> Hands down WINNER.

ASrock 990fx extreme4 >> Probably not even 1/2 the board the Sabertooth is when talking about speeds over 4.4Ghz.

CPU cooling is going to determine the outcome of any overclock of an FX processor be it 6 or 8 core. They make so much HEAT and then they won't go any faster. H80i is not enough cooling no matter the mobo for speeds much beyond 4.5Ghz-ish. I mean spend a bundle for a much better mobo and then cannot do enough faster to make it worth the mobo puchase because of NO cooling.
RGone...

If you want a board we know works when really trying to push the clocks on an Fx 6xxx cpu I agree totally.

Another option is the Asus M5A99X Evo or 990FX Pro but we don't see many come through here trying to get 4.5+ overclocks on them with a 6300 Fx. I could get my 8350 to 4.5 Stable on the M5A99X Evo but not any higher, you should be able to get a bit higher with the 6300 but I can't say, even if your cpu will do it, if the board will be able to.

He has not answered back yet "manny" and I think his cooling, no matter what mobo, is going to be the issue. C_D is now gaming his FX-6300 @5.2Ghz with that d*mn good water cooling he has and I think his R2.0 Sabertooth 990FX. But I say again it is the cooling that is almost in the same breath most important along with the mobo.
RGone...ster.

I'm going to have that TT AIO freed up after tonight. I was considering putting it on the M5A/6350 just to see what it can do. The only problem with that is the Antec1200 case wasn't well suited for the rad.

In your signature you show to BE running an FX-6300 at 4.4Ghz already. You building another sysetem or you trying to get more than 4.4Ghz out of the FX-6300 you have already???

ASrock 990fx extreme4 >> Probably not even 1/2 the board the Sabertooth is when talking about speeds over 4.4Ghz.

CPU cooling is going to determine the outcome of any overclock of an FX processor be it 6 or 8 core. They make so much HEAT and then they won't go any faster. H80i is not enough cooling no matter the mobo for speeds much beyond 4.5Ghz-ish. I mean spend a bundle for a much better mobo and then cannot do enough faster to make it worth the mobo puchase because of NO cooling.
RGone...

well basically what i want would be the same speed as what i have right now which is 4.4Ghz but with the less vcore and temp.. since right now im at 1.475 vcore and with around 37c-50c at loaded temp... and yeah im planning to upgrade the cooling to H100i or some other good coolers that you can recommend.. :) and im also planning on doing SLI in the near future thats why im looking for a board that has either dual or tri SLI.. :) i dont have any plan in getting it more further than 4.4Ghz or if can go higher then thats better but im more than satisfied with what i got right now.. just the MOBO... :)

1. Mobo has little to no effect on cpu temps. Unless for some very odd reason the voltage to the cpu was wonky and had to have more than necessary to make up for wonky dirty cpu voltage.

2. Sli of two 660 cards is not likely to give you much. Better to sell the 660 and get a single more powerful video card. That is the advice given in the Nvidia video card section about 90% of the time.

3. Swapping to H100i "might" get you another 100 to 150Mhz on cpu, but likely about all.

4. Truthfully, it sounds like all you really need is a more powerful video card. Probably the most cost effective move to make.
RGone...

1. Mobo has little to no effect on cpu temps. Unless for some very odd reason the voltage to the cpu was wonky and had to have more than necessary to make up for wonky dirty cpu voltage.

2. Sli of two 660 cards is not likely to give you much. Better to sell the 660 and get a single more powerful video card. That is the advice given in the Nvidia video card section about 90% of the time.

3. Swapping to H100i "might" get you another 100 to 150Mhz on cpu, but likely about all.

4. Truthfully, it sounds like all you really need is a more powerful video card. Probably the most cost effective move to make.
RGone...

i see... so what you suggest is getting a better GPU instead of me replacing the MOBO? and then get a better cooler? (if i understood you correctly)

Karikapu, if you're determined to get a new board this is the order that I would list them in.

1. Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 NON-GEN3

2. ASRock 990FX Extreme9

3. ASRock 990FX Fatality Killer

4. Gigabyte 990FX UD7

Any board above the saber tooth is well beyond normal useage and anything below the UD7 will not net any real improvement over your current set-up. That being said, even these boards may not improve your situation. Personally I would get the better cooler first.

I think it's worth mentioning also that I wouldn't go thru the hassle of SLIing your 660. I would replace it with either a 770 or 780 if you like Nvidia or one of the newer R9 280x or R9 290'x if you like AMD AND which ever fits your budget. In my opinion I'd rather have one modern card than 2 older cards. It's just my opinion and I know other have theirs too.

EDIT: RGone types faster than me too. LOL

hahahaha.. well ill take that suggestion.. ill just get a single better card instead of doing SLI, but would my current MOBO handle it? thats also another reason why im looking for a good MOBO.. i can go ahead and get a single good GPU but i also wanna pair it with a good MOBO.. so im looking for a replacement MOBO now and since im not going beyond 4.4Ghz i think my cooler can handle it. i got no plan on overclocking it further.. just want a good board for future upgrade.. :) and i wanna build another unit from what i have left and give it to the kids.. :)

Well you begin by asking one thing. Then you fill in that you want same speed cpu but less voltage and temps. A mobo will not normally FIX those problems.

Then you say you are wanting to go SLi so you need a board that will do SLi. Well a mobo just to run to 660s side by side is not sensible money wise. By the time you buy a mobo for SLi and another 660 vid card you could have bought a better more powerful vid card. Or nearly so especially if you sell the 660 you have now.

So not knowing more than we do...sounds like you need more power in the video area as what you truly seek. And yes a better cpu cooler would be good but if you are not going beyond 4.4Ghz...save your money and put it toward that better video card.
RGone...

Yes your MoBo will handle the new GPU. The bigger question will be can your PSU handle it. That will depend on which card. Also I'm not familiar with that PSU.

As far as future proofing the FX6300, forget about it. The AM3+ platform is essentially dead. It may continue for the remainder of 2014, but all indications are that AMD is moving forward with their newer APU chips in the FM2+ socket. Sad news indeed for us AMD lovers.

ouch! really?? that is sad... so maybe the best thing that i can do is invest in a better card instead of a better MOBO right? and is the AM3+ socket already dead? i mean if that socket is already ending its stage of life then should i just get a MOBO and a processor with a different socket and sell the ones i have now?

is the AM3+ socket already dead? i mean if that socket is already ending its stage of life then should i just get a MOBO and a processor with a different socket and sell the ones i have now?

Dead does not mean you have to throw them in the garbage. H*ll Intel users have been having to buy a new mobo about every two years since Intel cannot leave the socket alone.

I have some six year old boards that still do what needs doing every day that has the sun come up. I don't bench for scores anymore so what does "new" mean to me.

For instance an Intel Ivy Bridge at 5.0Ghz is 'said' the equal of a new Hazewell processor running at 4.7Ghz. The *funny* part is the Ivy Bridge was much more likely to run 5.0ghz than the average user is able to get his Hazewell to run 4.7Ghz. So what was the big freeken need to upgrade? Not much and many did not.

If I don't get stupid and blow up my g00d FX-8350 it still has a number of videos to encode and it does that as well as a 4770K at 4.5Ghz so am not looking at my system as dead and needed to go to the trash can. Not hardly.
RGone...

oh goodness, keep the board and cpu......

get a better single video card now and wait a while and look at mobo and processor later.
I game my 6300 at 5.2 with massive cooling, it's just not really woth it, but that's what I like to do.

a better video card will be somthing that will transfer to the new mobo and processor and give your system a hefty boost now.

and from what I am seeing it's time to sit on stuff and see what wases out with cpu's, intel is changing socketes like underware and amd is just getting apu rolled out and into the mainstream.
I'm even keeping an eye on the new a10 apus to see where they are going and in the mean time my am3+ processors will carry me for two or three years.

oh goodness, keep the board and cpu......

get a better single video card now and wait a while and look at mobo and processor later.
I game my 6300 at 5.2 with massive cooling, it's just not really woth it, but that's what I like to do.

a better video card will be somthing that will transfer to the new mobo and processor and give your system a hefty boost now.

and from what I am seeing it's time to sit on stuff and see what wases out with cpu's, intel is changing socketes like underware and amd is just getting apu rolled out and into the mainstream.
I'm even keeping an eye on the new a10 apus to see where they are going and in the mean time my am3+ processors will carry me for two or three years.

i see... yeah since a lot of you guys are saying that im really convince that i should just get a better GPU instead of a newer MOBO.. :)

Dead does not mean you have to throw them in the garbage. H*ll Intel users have been having to buy a new mobo about every two years since Intel cannot leave the socket alone.

I have some six year old boards that still do what needs doing every day that has the sun come up. I don't bench for scores anymore so what does "new" mean to me.

For instance an Intel Ivy Bridge at 5.0Ghz is 'said' the equal of a new Hazewell processor running at 4.7Ghz. The *funny* part is the Ivy Bridge was much more likely to run 5.0ghz than the average user is able to get his Hazewell to run 4.7Ghz. So what was the big freeken need to upgrade? Not much and many did not.

If I don't get stupid and blow up my g00d FX-8350 it still has a number of videos to encode and it does that as well as a 4770K at 4.5Ghz so am not looking at my system as dead and needed to go to the trash can. Not hardly.
RGone...

i see... all along i thought that there gonna stop supporting it and just leave it behind... :) sorry for being so clueless.. well i guess the best bet for me would be getting a better GPU then... what would you suggest? im planning to sell my GTX660 to get a newer one and just add cash.. :)

Have no idea what you can 'get to' over there. Myself I doubt i would get less than a 280x AMD or a 760 Nvidia. They are both more robust than the 660 you have. If I personaly had a good 280x or 760, I dont' think I would need another video card for a couple of years. Me anyway.
RGone...

Back