• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How high can i overclock with these specs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Giamiester

Registered
I need overclock suggestions

I don't know much about overclocking but im looking to get the best out of my computer without having it burst into flames, Because i have high CPU usage programs that i use. I have a AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6Ghz Overclocked to 3.9Ghz.

RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 with 4GB video memory
Resolution: 1920x1080
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology GA-78LMT-S2
Windows 7
Case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower-elite-series/elite-431/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i am new to this forum and I don't know much about overclocking but Question: i am looking to get the best out of my computer without having it burst into flames, Because the programs i use have high CPU usage. I have a AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6Ghz Overclocked to 3.9Ghz.

I am also willing to do some Core speed changing if someone recommends a certain speed and i will post the results from HWMonitor when i get to it

RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 with 4GB video memory
Resolution: 1920x1080
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology GA-78LMT-S2
Windows 7

Case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid...ies/elite-431/

Most important is the motherboard with FX processors. Yours is rather entry level and good you only have a 4 core FX processor since the FX big boys can beat the crap out of the cpu voltage supply circuit on the board. (VRM)

Probably second most important is what is taking the heat away from the cpu? If it is the stock cooler that came with the cpu; you may have a small amount more overclock available before you have to begin raising the Vcore and the temps "may then" climb like a rocket. Temps for now seem just fine.

That cpu if any good (unknown) should do 4.8Ghz with ease with proper cooling and on a board with enough cpu supply circuit. Why don't you bump the multiplier another 0.5 and P95 Blend for at least 20 mins with HWMonitor open while priming and see what it shows.
RGone...

Most important is the motherboard with FX processors. Yours is rather entry level and good you only have a 4 core FX processor since the FX big boys can beat the crap out of the cpu voltage supply circuit on the board. (VRM)

Probably second most important is what is taking the heat away from the cpu? If it is the stock cooler that came with the cpu; you may have a small amount more overclock available before you have to begin raising the Vcore and the temps "may then" climb like a rocket. Temps for now seem just fine.

That cpu if any good (unknown) should do 4.8Ghz with ease with proper cooling and on a board with enough cpu supply circuit. Why don't you bump the multiplier another 0.5 and P95 Blend for at least 20 mins with HWMonitor open while priming and see what it shows.
RGone...

Thanks for the FeedBack RGone, I do believe that i am still using the stock cooler that came with the PC. I have replaced my power supply (to lazy to check) But i believe my power supply wont be a problem. I will bump it up to 4.0Ghz and i will Try out Primer95 for the first time (I assume its a stress testing program) I will post Pictures of HWMonitor's info after 20+ mins. I just want to take it slow and steady :)

Top Picture: 4.0Ghz Idle (Varies between 40C and 50C)
Bottom Picture: 4.0Ghz On Primer95 for 20 mins
Question is? Is it safe to go higher!!?

In reply to Increasing the CPU VCORE voltage up to 1.4V, and then raise the multiplier again, I don't know what to change in my BIOS because there is nothing there under 1.4V, And i didn't want to mess with the CPU NB VID Control, because that doesn't seem to be what your talking about. The only multipliers i can raise are in the CPU Clock ratio stuff.

I assume you don't know what the voltage should be because it varied too much in HWMonitor?

Pretty correct. If it says it is set to 1.4125 BUT shows it never reaches but 1.38ish...that is not easy to calculate just "how much" should I input as number for Voltage in bios to actually have 1.4V to the cpu so that could speed up cpu some more.

YOU will just have to test out what voltage you can enter in place of normal to get closer to 1.4V shown in HWMonitor as used. Nothing but trial and error at your end can determine what to enter. I don't have an AM3+ mobo that acts that way and I don't think any of us that normally do most of the helping have one that is that variable either.
RGone...

Pretty correct. If it says it is set to 1.4125 BUT shows it never reaches but 1.38ish...that is not easy to calculate just "how much" should I input as number for Voltage in bios to actually have 1.4V to the cpu so that could speed up cpu some more.

YOU will just have to test out what voltage you can enter in place of normal to get closer to 1.4V shown in HWMonitor as used. Nothing but trial and error at your end can determine what to enter. I don't have an AM3+ mobo that acts that way and I don't think any of us that normally do most of the helping have one that is that variable either.
RGone...
Thank you for all of your help and feedback, when I get back to my computer I will experiment with the voltage

Now at 4.0GHz With 1.435 V

With Primer95 on
Only hit 1.416 V for a fraction of a second, still seen it fluctuate between 1.28 V and 1.36 V

Woah... I wouldn't overclock much with that motherboard,... as it has no heatsinks for that one part next to the cpu slot... It can fry the motherboard i believe since it gets too hot.

My core speed drops to 1.4 GHz (7x) In CPU-Z occasionally for a split second. then returns to 4 GHz (x20) for a while. Is that normal? Happens every 4 times then stays normal for about another minute then repeats

I guess it doesn't effect anything because during gameplay there was not CPU Core speed changing, it stayed at 4.0GHz. Only changes when idle, which doesn't effect me at all.

I didn't feel a real performance boost from 3.6GHz to 4 Ghz, probably because 400 Hertz is a small change

Also i had gamebooster, so my power option was on Game Booster power plan, switched it to high performance just incase

Back