• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED GTX vs Quadro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I have been looking for a good laptop and I happened upon some that claimed they were mobile workstations. I found this very appealing as I am looking to start development with Unity. However I don't really understand the bennefit of using a Quadro series GPU over a GTX series. For something like Unity (no 3D modeling, I just do the coding) I imagine I would actually want a GTX series GPU for testing the game since a GTX would be more than capable of any task I throw at it (talking more the top end GPUs in the mobile market). Am I right in thinking a GTX would better serve my needs?

EDIT: I do plan on using it to game on the side as well.

Quadro cards do not game as well as their GTX counterparts. GTX cards do not do whatever a quadro does as well either. There are separate drivers and support for quadro lines of cards made specifically for what each do.

Get a GTX, yes. It doesn't appear, from what was mentioned you remotely need a quadro. :)

Thanks for the speedy response. I saw that the Quadros were optimized for things like Maya, 3Dmax, Adobe products, ect. Seems like a lot of software for the art side of things, which is something I only dabble in. Thank you!

You'd be a perfect candidate for a GTX Titan, if you will. Its a hybrid GeForce and Quadro GPU. But unfortunately that won't come in the size used for laptops.

I forget the sources but I was thinking about a Quadro for a dedicated 3d workstation.

3d Studio guys on some forum were saying they all used GTX cards in their workstations instead of the Quadros because the new GTX cards killed the older 4000? series Quadros in performance. So my take on it was, unless you want to shell some serious bucks for a new Quadro, a GTX will be the better performer.

I forget the sources but I was thinking about a Quadro for a dedicated 3d workstation.

3d Studio guys on some forum were saying they all used GTX cards in their workstations instead of the Quadros because the new GTX cards killed the older 4000? series Quadros in performance. So my take on it was, unless you want to shell some serious bucks for a new Quadro, a GTX will be the better performer.

Not sure how those programs work but if it benefits having Double Precision (DP) than the only GeForce GTX card that has DP enabled is the GTX Titan. DP is disabled on all the other GTX GPUs.

Back