• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6TB drives available

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cullam3n

Got this link in my email today. Hopefully in a year or two, competition will lower the prices down in the consumer grade arena.

November 2013, HGST announced that it started to ship 6TB Ultrastar He6 hard disk drive. This drive is the industry’s first hermetically sealed helium-filled HDD that can be cost-effectively manufactured in high volume. Its quality, performance, and reliability have been tested and examined by industry-leading companies. HGST Ultrastar He6 has enterprise class quality and 3.5 inch form factor with SATA 6 Gbps speed and 5 year warranty.

Source

Yeah saw this. I can't imagine they will be any kind of cost effective though, not for a while. Hopefully the new architecture will drop current 1tb per plate drives down though! I'd like to get a couple 2tb drives and raid them, but its not cost effective yet.

I like higher platter density! I didn't click on the link (I'm mobile), maybe it's in there, but I'm curious about the speed and platter quantity...

With respect bob, is anything cost effective for you? SSDs aren't to you, so one would imagine hdd would be. You seem to expect pc hardware to cost as much as a pack of gum for things to be cost effective. :p

I like higher platter density! I didn't click on the link (I'm mobile), maybe it's in there, but I'm curious about the speed and platter quantity...

I tried to copy & paste for you EarthDog

Code:
Specifications:
Interface	 SATA 6Gb/s	  
Capacity (GB)	 6TB	  
Sector size (variable, Bytes/sector)	 512n	  
Max Areal Density (Gbits/sq. in.)	 544	  
Form Factor	 3.5-inch HDD	  
Performance

Data Buffer (MB)	 64	  
Rotational Speed (RPM)	 7200	  
Interface transfer rate (MB/sec, max)	 600	  
Sustained transfer rate (MB/sec, typ.)	 177	  
Seek Time (read, ms, typical)	 8.5	  
Reliability

Error Rate (non-recoverable, bits read)	 1 in 10^15	  
MTBF (M hours)	 2.0	  
Load/Unload Cycles	 600,000	  
Availability (hrs/day x days/wk)	 24x7	  
Reliability - Warranty (yrs)	 5	  
Acoustics

Idle (Bels)	 2.0	  
Power

Requirement	 +5 VDC (+/-5%), +12VDC (+/-5%)	  
Startup current (A, max)	 1.2 (+5V), 2.0 (+12V)	  
Read/Write (W, avg)	 7.3	  
Active Idle (W, avg)	 5.3	  
Unload Idle (W)	 3.7	  
Physical size

Z-Height (mm)	 26.1	  
Dimensions (width x depth, mm)	 101.6(+/-0.25)x147	  
Weight (g, max)	 640	  
Environmental (operating)

Ambient temperature	 5º to 60º C	  
Shock (half-sine wave)	 70	  
Vibration (5 to 500 Hz)	 0.67 (XYZ)	  
Environmental (non-operating)

Ambient temperature	 -40º to 70º C	  
Shock (half-sine wave)	 300	  
Vibration (5 to 500 Hz)	 1.04 (XYZ)

For $805, these aren't cost-effective for the home consumer (and these are enterprise drives). But time will tell when these consumer versions become available.

No matter whatever the price, I prefer to wait on new technology until it has had time to either prove itself or get any bugs worked out.

Weren't these like $6k when they came out? At $800 it's obviously not a great buy for a consumer but I imagine that's somewhat competitive in IT? Not sure, though.

Either way, great strides. I just condensed and tidied all my data and it's still 11TB jam packed :(

6TB drives would be great because two drives > 3 4tb drives

Weren't these like $6k when they came out? At $800 it's obviously not a great buy for a consumer but I imagine that's somewhat competitive in IT? Not sure, though.

Either way, great strides. I just condensed and tidied all my data and it's still 11TB jam packed :(

6TB drives would be great because two drives > 3 4tb drives

I would think two 6tb drives = three 4tb drives. :D

Is there really a reason to have that much data on a single platter drive? I'm more of a fan of spreading my data over 2 or more drives, that way if one dies, I'm not out all my data (cause realistically backing up a 6tb drive would be cumbersome).

Is there really a reason to have that much data on a single platter drive? I'm more of a fan of spreading my data over 2 or more drives, that way if one dies, I'm not out all my data (cause realistically backing up a 6tb drive would be cumbersome).

Cloud servers.

They run hundreds or thousands of drives, so the parity is there.
Add 2 more TB to a drive, and they love you.

Why would it be cumbersome? Just use another 6TB drive and a folder/file syncing program like FreeFileSync. After the initial backup, only files that are added, changed, or deleted since the previous backup are sent or deleted from the backup when doing subsequent backups.

I do a daily backup of a 2TB drive to two 2TB drives (duplicates). Yesterday, I had 8Gb of added, changed and deleted data to be backed up and it only took seven minutes per backup HDD.

Back