• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Technical Monitor Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toastslave

Registered
So I've been looking to buy a new monitor to replace my crappy Viewsonic 60hz. My first choice is the Benq 2420Z but I have a couple questions. The monitor says it has 3 different refresh rates 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz and im just wondering why would anybody ever go below 144hz, wouldnt the highest refresh rate always be the most optimal? But they have the options to switch it so there must be a reason. Also im wondering once I have this 144hz monitor would I always run every game with Vertical Sync off, since it should sync the GPU with the refresh rate of the monitor, any answers or opinions appreciated.

The 3 different refresh rates are irrelevant since you can program the monitor to run at any hz up to 144ish manually. Maybe just another selling point to advertise about the product. Why anyone would want to run lower rates? I dunno. Maybe Nvidia 3D vision issue
I've always played with Vsync off in everything possible, mouse feels smoother to me and I don't mind screen tearing one bit.

Thanks Efonzerellie, but about my other question, I really want to know if you should leave vertical sync on or off if you have a monitor that is 144hz. Because they say that V sync takes your gpu and syncs it to the refresh rate of the monitor, so if i had a monitor that is 144hz would it sync the GPU to 144hz as well or would it just default to 60.

Last edited:
Back