• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking For Build Help: Gaming with a Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lovelled

Hi Everyone,

It's that time of my life again...I need a new desktop. My current system is about 4 years old and I'll probably turn it into a steambox. My request is for help putting together a new system for gaming and photo processing for under $1,000.

I'm no longer looking for the latest and greatest. I want to save some money this time around, but be able to keep up with gaming for the next 2 years.

Here's a brief breakdown of what it'll be used for:

-Lightroom
-Photoshop (Occasionally, when LR doesn't do the trick)
-Gaming
--Skyrim, BF4, (Starbound ;))
--Ultra settings would be great, but not a huge concern.
--I use a 28in monitor normally, but push to my 60in Plasma for gamepad games.

I've put together a PCPartpicker and got it under $1000, but is there anywhere you guys can see me saving money? Is anything on here overkill for what I'm looking to do? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KVbR
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KVbR/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KVbR/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($172.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $977.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-31 16:20 EST-0500)

Honestly, I think you nailed it right off the bat dude. Thats a great build for 977$. The only thing may be is the 3570k is a bit better over clocker from what I've seen, and probably has a more consistent price point than the 4670k.

The only thing I would recommend is step up your PSU. Not for 'right now' use, but in the future if you want to upgrade to SLI, it would be nice to not have to worry about your power supply, AND the 750w version of that psu isn't a whole lot more cash either. .

Thank you! I think a bigger PSU is a good idea. I'll look at the 3570 as well.

That 4670k is a good bargain right now, its just if you're looking in two weeks, its entirely possible the 3570k will be the better buy.

you could save about 250 dollars if you grabbed an fx 8320 and motherboard from microcenter. Comes to about 170 total, and thats with an above average motherboard.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Get an FX 8320, because its the same as the 50.. And grab the 990 chipset board. you will hit 4.7 in 40 minutes, stable. then, youll be able to have a REAL computer with a graphics card in it... i wouldnt settle for a 760 spending that much money. thats an extra 160 youll have to spend. Grab the 8320/50 and motherboard for 250 and get a 770.. I think youll be a lot happier.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

Gosh, my GTX 580 can beat the 760 in some categories. I dont understand how someone could spend that much and get a low end card. I build computers weekly for friends.. and my fx 6300 without turbo, 8gb 1333 memory, trash biostar 960 that doesnt allow turbo, and i get 100+ constant on high in bf4.. The bottleneck is pure motherboard. Imagine what i could do with a motherboard on this 6300? Intel is far too overpriced and ive never once had a bad experience with amd. not one single time. anything 6300 and above will make you super happy..

Last edited:
Sorry bonokid, but thats not great advice. No build for "1000$" should include amd cpu in my opinion.

FX series provides usable performance at a great price, however, if you can afford it, the intels are superior in every way. They are more reliable, take less power, are more cost effective over time, and will more than likely last longer.

And I will never be caught dead using a 50$ mother board with an 8 series AMD chip. No way, no how. ALL of those boards listed at microcenter for the 8350 are CRAP. No freaking way dude. Not to mention require PICK UP (aka they wont mail it), so if hes not near a microcenter location, hes SOL.

I spent roughly 275$ on my setup, which IS much cheaper than an intel, however, if I had the money, I would gladly swap it for a 3570k.

also the 760 is superior to the 580 in almost every way, not sure what your high horse is about that one... yes the gtx 770 is better, but its also 120$ MORE.

Back