• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5a97 R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

Want to test this thing out. So brother brings over ddr3 ram and light blinks which indicates no good on ram.

Anyone have this board? I need to know what 2x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM WILLL work for sure for a decent price

Thanks

Rusty

Depends on the Cpu you're trying to run the ram on. If it's the Athlon II in your signature it may not be able to run the ram at that speed. Try putting your brothers sticks in and manually set the ram to 1333 in the BIOS as well as the timings.

no no i get the dram led light blinking and im gonna end up buying ram on Wednesday just dont want to get the wrong ram and be sol.

Rusty

Well you need to find out what speed ram your Cpu will support. If it's an Athlon II X4 630 then it only supports up to 1333, this doesn't mean it can't run higher but if you want to be safe don't buy ram higher then 1333 Mhz. Chances are the board will support any 1333 sticks but you can look up in the manual what stick they say are supported.

well thats no good cuz my brother pulled a stick of his ELPIDA out of his working computer which is 1333MHz and it was a no bueno. Hmmm..makes me think now.

What cpu is in the socket you are testing with? Did you push the ram okay/test button?

Usually in the manual is a QVL list of ram and one also at the motherboard website for the model of mobo you have. What we say does not really make as shett. It is if it is on the QVL list that gives any credence if you have to go to a warranty situation.
RGone...

I used my Athlon II tried his stick in slot one then tried in two. Looked in book but its not in there. Thats why i was hoping someone with that board could give me insight since i have been looking it up for awhile now and figured id stop by oc.com and see if anyone could give me insight.

Yes i pushed the button DRAM Led one

Rusty

Last edited:
I used my Athlon II = That is why I asked you what cpu by MODEL number or part nubmer or something not just a 4 core Athlon.

RAM - 4x2GB DDR2 Crucial ballistix Sport = You have DDR2 ram in use with your cpu now and knowing the model number will allow to check and see if that particular cpu has a DDR3 IMC in it. If not then it surely will not boot.
RGone...

Gotcha Well the CPU Model is

Athlon IIX4 630(ADX630WFK42GM),2.8GHz,512KB,rev.C3,95W,SocketAM3

This one not the other that they show. And it is listed in the supported CPU for board.

Hope this helps.

Rusty

Here's what I dug up on the IMC for that CPU
Memory controller The number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Channel width (bits): 72
Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333
DIMMs per channel: up to 2
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 21.3

The actual model number you gave me ADX630WFK42GM says it should work in these two sockets.

Sockets: Socket AM2+ OR Socket AM3

So that cpu should work with either DDR2 or DDR3-1333.

This board the Asus M5a97 R2.0 is a DDR3 only motherboard and at the website for that mobo,
Asus has a memory QVL available to show what ram they suggest for that motherboard. You would look under the DDR3-1333 ram list.

You write >> "This one not the other that they show." >> Now that phrase is a good deal confusing. If you have cpu ADX630WFK42GM,
then what I wrote seems valid, but I see no reason for that not the other one they show. They as in who? They as in you are not sure?
RGone...

right im looking at gettting the same ram right out of QVL for motherboard. So i guess only time will tell. Thanks i will keep you all updated

Rusty

RGone....i am using that mobo as we speak working on getting rid of the oldies catching up to the youngins :) Got a few more things i wanna do before water cooling then its game on :) Check out my signature thread and u will see the picture last page last post...i think

oh and its G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz gonna say im ALMOST positive its

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Enjoy
Rusty

Back