• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheremy01

Registered
When I overclock using FSB it raises the northbridge frequency. Can I raise the FSB to say 205 and then manually downclock the north bridge so the overclock only raises the ram and cpu? Would this be safe?

If it is in bios to lower CPU_NB freq, then heck yes do so if it is getting out of hand. Most of us overclock the CPU_NB though.
RGone...

You can absolutely do that. Just drop the NB multi by 1x and raise the FSB enough to bring it back up close to where it was.

If it is in bios to lower CPU_NB freq, then heck yes do so if it is getting out of hand. Most of us overclock the CPU_NB though.
RGone...

No, the motherboard Northbridge. I wanted to use FSB to raise cpu frequency and but I don't want to raise the motherbord NB. So I can raise the FSB then set the NB back to 2000 manually? I just didn't want to fry the board.

back to 2000 manually? = Once you said back to 2000, know that you are talking actually about the CPU_NB and not the actual northbridge. It is usually on an adjustable multiplier as "ATMINSIDE" said.

Three things rise by a multiplier factor when raising FSB whiich now actually is better known as HT Reference Frequency. Some still use the old naming of FSB but know it is not just that any longer but is a HT Ref Freq, becasue the ram speed, the CPU_NB and the HT LInk Speed all 'rise' when upping the HT Ref Freq used to be known as FSB.
RGone...

As others have said , the CPU_NB is generalyy Oveclaked to improve ram efficiency. As long as heat doesn't become an issue you should be able to run thCPU_NB around the 24-2600 mark by setting the CPU_MB voltage to 1.25v Keep the HT at the same frequency as the NB. The one that will typically give the most issue when raising thr HTref is your memory. So I would suggest dropping the mem speed by one before you raise the frequency above 210.
EDIT: It's about time you put up a signature so those that help are well informed.

Ok I filled in the your system under about me? Why isn't it showing?

U missed the mobo model in use.

You could say FX-6300 > CM 212 EVO (number of characters is counted to a max for a signature. Trying to cull out as many un-needed words as possible.)

For ram it is better if you can just put the part number of the ram since that is what we have to go look up if ram seems the issue. Corsair DDR3-1333 is not going to tell us much if ram seems the problem.

Since you are only allowed by the forum to use so many characters, it is best if we see mobo, processor, Cpu cooler, ram model/part number and the power supply for sure. I had a hard time getting my sig to show what it does below for sort of a template due to the number of characters restriction.
RGone...

Back