• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for fx 8320 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickthequik13

Registered
Hello everyone. I am currently doing a new build, I have purchased everything for my setup except for the MOBO. They are as follows:

CPU- Fx-8320
GPU-Asus 7770 1G5 V2 OC'ed (I know its not the best but got a good deal)
Ram-Gskill Sniper Series 2x4GB 1866
PSU- Cooler Master V7000 Full Modular
Cooler-Phanteks PH-TC12DX 120mm White
Case- InWin GT1 White.

My ? is what would be the best option for my build. I do want to OC maybe to 4.0ghz, but want something that will make it as easy as possible to do as I don't know much about it. Also have crossfire/sli as I would like to do so down the line . I would like to try and keep the board colors black and silver or black and red, as those are the colors of my case and ram and GPU. I am not opposed to choosing something with blue, just would prefer something to match my color scheme. I would like to spend no more than $170 and thats pushing it!! If I can find something in the 100-150 id much rather prefrer that. Thanks for any input/help :confused:

We have the same stuff haha.

Get the fatal1ty killer, I STRONGLY recommend you pass on anything below it honestly.

If you have the money, stretch to the sabertooth, which is apparently just bees knees with these chips.

Get the fatal1ty killer, I STRONGLY recommend you pass on anything below it honestly.

If you have the money, stretch to the sabertooth, which is apparently just bees knees with these chips.

Not fitting into your color scheme but the asus m5a99x evo/990fx pro are both nice boards for a mild oc. I also agree with the posts above.

For some reason I don't trust anything from ASUS that isn't red :)
Really, I wouldn't save on a motherboard for FX CPU. ASRock mentioned above or ASUS Crosshair would be my only choice.

I could start that making AMD build is generally bad idea but don't want to start next forum war ;)

So Bob, or anybody else it says that the board supports 1866 ram, but i dont see mine listed on the QVL list. Will my ram work on there its the Gskill sniper seriee 1866 2x4gb. I was told and it says "Note7: AMD FX series CPU on this motherboard support up to DDR3 1866 MHz as its standard memory frequency."

Which I obviously have the FX but, i was told by someone that it may only support 8 gb of 1866 in 1 DIMM slot not 2x4 like I have. I had originally picked this mobo but then was sketchy on the memory listings on the arsock website and not sure what all it meant, and I didnt see on the QVL list that my memory was supported

The G.Skill and FX typically get along quite well, you shouldn't encounter too many problems with your kit. I have many different G.Skill kits and everyone has worked in my boards, I don't even know if they're on the QVL list.

Anyone have any input on the Gigabyte 990fx-UD3, Its the same price and has similar features with a more "user friendly bios" or more appealing. But I have heard about some problems about VRM's and them getting hot.. I would like to choose between either of these 2 boards as the price is right for what you get..

Also thanks Johan45 for the info, I tend to worry alot about stuff like that being that I dont want to spend all this money and not have my ram be supported and have to deal with return and all that BS

Also how do you add your computer info onto your post/profile?? I see a place in my account settings where it says tell us about your rig, but it doesnt give a good layout or color options as I am seeing with most of your info

NP nick, as to the UD3. If you can get the Rev.4 it's a nice board we have a member who tried one out. The rev3 had throttling issue related to a missing bios setting. So I would verify which it is before purchase.

Here

Capturesig.JPG

I do not have that option in my user control panel, its only the edit your details or edit options. Maybe because i have the free membership and not the paid one??

Yes, on the UD3 make sure you're either Rev 1.1 or Rev 4 is a very good board with the power section necessary to handle the 8-core. But the Rev 3 BIOS and Firmware don't play nicely with the 8-core.

The 990FX Fatal1ty Killer looks like a good board, with the heatsinks necessary on the power section. I don't have any personal experience with ASRock, but I know their reputation for affordable, quality overclocking motherboards is quite good.

I found it Johan. I had to hit the User CP link up top then look to the let to find the edit signature

Which I obviously have the FX but, i was told by someone that it may only support 8 gb of 1866 in 1 DIMM slot not 2x4 like I have. I had originally picked this mobo but then was sketchy on the memory listings on the arsock website and not sure what all it meant, and I didnt see on the QVL list that my memory was supported

AMD spec not mobo spec is for one "channel" of DDR3-1866 ram.

This is the AMD spec not mobo spec.
Memory Controller Width 128-bit
Type of Memory Supported Up to DDR3 18661

Go to 1 >> 1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel)

That said most have found DDR3-1866 workable in all four memory slots and not just
two slots as the "AMD" spec says.

As for QVL list, it is nice to see a particular ram noted on the QVL list but know that every ram will not be on the list. Even ram that works may not have been shipped to the mobo maker for testing and thus will not appear on the list even if it does work.

When buying ram for AMD system I look at the "hype-stuff" about the ram and if all that is mentioned is qualified for Intel cpu systems, then I pass on that ram for AMD.
RGone...

Back