• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z77M Rear USB 3.0 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I just installed a new ASRock Z77M motherboard. It works well in all respects except the two rear USB 3.0 ports do not work. I verified in the bios setup that all USB ports are "Enabled". These ports are native ports and should not require a driver although I installed all drivers on the packaged disk.

My Lian-Li case is only three years old and does not have any front panel 3.0 ports so I cannot verify these ports work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I regularly use a portable USB 3.0 hard drive to transfer large amounts of data between two geographic locations.

Since my original post I exchanged the board for a new one but the new one has exactly the same problem.

The following is a list, taken from an email I just sent to ASRock, of everything I have done and observed .

-The problem applies to both the two rear panel USB 3.0 ports and the two USB 3.0 ports fed from the header on the motherboard.
-If I disable the "USB 3.0 Controller" in the bios all the USB 3.0 ports work perfectly as USB 2.0 ports. As soon as I enable the "USB 3.0 Controller" there is no response from any of the ports (they still have power on them because the light on a USB 3.0 memory device blinks for an instant when I plug it in).
-I installed the drivers both from the ASRock download site and from the disk that came with the board.
-The Device Manager indicates that the "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" is properly installed.
-This is not likely a motherboard hardware issue because I am using a new replacement board with exactly the same problem as the original board.
-I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on a new 256 Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD immediately after installing the board.
-The problem exists both with the bios that came with the board (P1.40) and the latest bios (P1.70).
-The machine works very well in all other respects.

This is my first ASRock product and I am out of patience with it. I replaced my old motherboard mostly because I need the faster 3.0 ports and these ports will not work. Unless I find a solution to this problem I will simply consider the $85 cost a loss and replace it with an ASUS product as their boards have served me well over the years. I actually chose the ASRock board because it was a lot less expensive than the closest equivalent ASUS board but, unfortunately, this appears to have been a mistake.

(this is a different machine than the one in my signature below)

In any case, thank you for your suggestion.

Just FYI, AsRock motherboards are Asus's bad ones (the ones that didn't pass quality control right out of the factory).

Just FYI, AsRock motherboards are Asus's bad ones (the ones that didn't pass quality control right out of the factory).

I've seen a lot discussion about a relationship between Asus and ASRock but never saw anything that can clearly be taken as fact. Is there a credible reference anywhere that ties them together?

Back