• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between as us m5a99fx evo and pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novabean22

Registered
I'm sure there's a post out there describing this but I could not find it, just wondering the differences between the boards and which one in your opinions would be a better fit for a fx6300 and also wondering what kind of an overclockers I'd be able to do with a hyper 212 evo without going liquid cooling yet?

Number of PCIe long slots and difference in transfer speed of the lanes are really the only major differences it seems.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 >> 4 (x16, x16, x4, x4) >> ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 = Of course if going to use dual video cards
this would be the better board. Otherwise about the same board as the other.

PCI Express 2.0 x16 >> 2 (1@x16 or dual x8) 1 (x4 mode, black) >> ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
The M5A99X EVO R2.0 seems no longer at the Asus site in their current mobo lineup. Some are still available at the seliing sites of course.

Either of these boards may run out of ooomph if one wanted to "really" push even just a 6 core processor. I would guesstimate somewhere in the 4.5Ghz range max overlcock, give or take a 100Mhz or so and depending on how 'good' the cooling of the cpu is going to be in the system.
RGone...

Alright, cool thanks man. I'll probably go with the pro board because it's only two dollars more and it will leave room for upgrades later

I'm sure there's a post out there describing this but I could not find it, just wondering the differences between the boards and which one in your opinions would be a better fit for a fx6300 and also wondering what kind of an overclockers I'd be able to do with a hyper 212 evo without going liquid cooling yet?

I have a M5A99FX pro with an FX6350 and Hyper 212 it runs at 4.6 with plenty of headroom. 4.7 is attainable but I didn't like the temps. This is my HTPC or DVD player as RGone might put it so the extra wasn't really needed.

I run the plain old M5A99X Evo with an FX-8350 and it's a solid board.

If I was to buy my mobo all over again, I would have gone with a sabo or crosshair (knowing now that I'm into overclocking).

Back