• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making XPs into MPs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would you mind briefly telling us what was said - I can't get your link to load anything.

it is an article about why some XP's dont work in duallie boards
must read for those who had problems

it turns out its one of the bridges that needs to be intact for them to be recognised as an MP.

I'd heard that the newer XPs wouldn't run in a dual config but the old ones would.... Never would have thought that one tiny bridge makes all the diffrence.

Of course, with all those bridges on AMD chips, I'm not horribly supprised either... Oh well, a cheap(er) dulie is great news!!

JigPu

That article does look interesting, I just ordered another XP1600 last night to compliment the one I already have. I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison early next week. No pictures though, I spent my camera money on another board, processor and memory.

One thing I've gathered on XP/MP "emulation", is that the higher MHz XP's are very picky as to the power supply. Another +5v issue.

I sure hope that the new one is the same color as the one I have, I think that brown and green will "clash"!

Really think this deserves a step up for those are perhaps looking for a bit cheaper solution to a Dual AMD Rig. If you are a risk taker and willing to try you may be able to get XP's to work in a Dual rig.

J :cool:

FRANK said:
That article does look interesting, I just ordered another XP1600 last night to compliment the one I already have. I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison early next week. No pictures though, I spent my camera money on another board, processor and memory.

One thing I've gathered on XP/MP "emulation", is that the higher MHz XP's are very picky as to the power supply. Another +5v issue.

I sure hope that the new one is the same color as the one I have, I think that brown and green will "clash"!

Frank when I ordered my xp2000 from tcwo ( Thompson Computer Wholesaler) off of price watch, I called and found out what steppings they have. I was informed that all they have is agoia stepping in xp2000 and above. It might be worth calling to find out so you would be assured that your getting what you want, just my $.02
Later Just shoot

To date I've built 7 dual XP rigs and they all worked fine. I have two here, and sold the other 5 - no complaints. I truly believe that as long as that L5 bridge is not cut XP's work just fine in SMP. Could be some of the mobo's are different though. I've had zero problems with both the Tiger MP and A7M266-D.

I've had this Tyan MP 2460 up for about a month now. Although the motherboard lacks any performance enhancing features, CPU FSB does let me increase the FSB to 150MHz. Me as well as many others have been able to increase the performance by way of the FSB only, resulting an a pretty respectable overclock. I'm currently at 1575MHz with the FSB at 150, an increase over default of 175MHz (12.5%)

As has been documented here as well as elsewhere, there is an issue with an additional L5 bridge being cut on the later XP's. The first XP1600 that I had is an AGOGA and had only two L5 bridges cut. The newer CPU with AGIOA stepping has a third L5 bridge cut, this is easily remedied by simply connecting the bridge. It is not necessary to "fill the pit" as with the L1 bridges however, just "connect the dots". I've successfully done this.

Failure to connect this additional L5 bridge will result in an error message and very long POST time, about three to four minutes BEFORE beginning to load windows. The second CPU is shown during the POST but is not recognized by the operating system.

One other note concerning this motherboard, the Tyan MP 2460 does not require a special power supply, the only requirement is a +5V line rated at least 30A. This along with the low initial price puts it within the grasp of many people.

This has been my experience with a Tyan MP 2460, other Tyan models as well as other manufacturers' products may yield different results.

My .02

Good luck!

Last edited:
Rear window defogger repair kit.

Very simple, If you've unlocked a T-BIRD or DURON with this method then you'd have no problem.

Good Luck!

After the XP's L1's, a lot of potential "unlockers" may be scared off, don't be.

I agree with both posts above, extremely simple to close the L5's.

Back