• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga Titan Black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was reading about this a bunch on EVGA forums. Apparently people are thinking that the Black could be good as a future proof solution for 4K monitors.

The ram would help, but a regular titan has 6gb and is cheaper. I guess I don't know what the difference is between the two cards.

2880 shaders vs. 2688.

It's is a fully unlocked GK-110 with 6gb of ram. The way it should have been released in my opinion, so performance isn't a huge jump over the 780ti if any.

I'm guessing this card is why nobody is currently making a 6GB version of a 780ti.

It's perfect for SLI if you need that much grunt, but I can't imagine many scenarios that would need it. Triple screen 3D or triple-screen high res I suppose, but even single screen 4k performance is pretty good with a single GK110, so two or more seems like overkill.

Then again, overkill is pretty much what everyone wants, isn't it? LOL

Yeah i vote for Overkill as that is what i have here maybe with 2 x 780TI's Superclocked!!

AJ.

well... my kind of overkill is defined by modding games... like skyrim... add a bunch of 4k or 8k textures, and then enhance all the LODs (distant objects) and i was using 3800MB of my GTX 670 RAm. playing vanilla at ultra settings net me 180+ fps, but with all the graphics enhancements i used, skyrim crawled along at a measely 50ish fps on Nevermore v1 (3930k @4100Mhz on a BigBang)

my complaint about titan black, is that it still uses the reference cooler. look at all the 2 and 3 fan setups out there... and titan black has to cheap out on cooling?

i really wish GPUs were modular enough that i could install more VRAM and a better cooler as easily as swapping out a CPU cooler and RAM DIMMs on a motherboard... all without voiding the warranty.

/sigh

maybe i'll settle on a pair of 780ti's for better overclocking

my complaint about titan black, is that it still uses the reference cooler. look at all the 2 and 3 fan setups out there... and titan black has to cheap out on cooling?

That reference cooler is terrifically effective. If you want to see a company "cheap out" on the reference cooler, look at what AMD did with the Hawaii cards. Upgraded cooling will always be the realm of the third party manufacturers like EVGA, but the stock cooler on the Titan and Titan 2 is more than adequate for a reference offering.

I really don't understand peoples fascination with the Titans just for gaming. I mean I get the whole 6 GB Vram on them but lets be realistic here. I went to their forums and basically said, "Its like buying a Quadro GPU for $1000 that can game as well." "Better taking a chance and waiting around for Maxwell if you want more than 3 GBs", I said. Most who buy it will only game with it. No point what so ever. A cheaper 780Ti would beat it in gaming. To each their own but lots of misinformed PC generals out there. :bang head

The way I always perceived the Titan was a sort of In between Enthusiast /workstation card. Cheaper than a Quadro but more effective than a mainstream card but only with the right software. Good for at home 3d rendering not professional

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, the extra VRAM would be handy for an SLI 3D Surround type of setup, but those types of setups aren't exactly commonplace. Some people just like to have the biggest baddest card on the market, and at the moment that card is this one.

Nope its not, the biggest bad a-- card at this moment would be the EVGA KINGPIN!!

AJ.

As I mentioned earlier, the extra VRAM would be handy for an SLI 3D Surround type of setup, but those types of setups aren't exactly commonplace. Some people just like to have the biggest baddest card on the market, and at the moment that card is this one.
Exactly.

Id rather have the 6GB of ram when running multi monitors or 4K. The Kingpin mentioned above will suffer. Its made for extreme overclocking though, so two different markets really.

Out of the box performance though, the KingP1n has a 50Mhz overclock higher (which any 780ti/Titan/Titan Black would reach regardless) so it should be faster without any overclocking. Otherwise, on ambient, it would be the same (a crapshoot as to what card gets the highest clocks).

Same exact GPU between them (fully enabled GK110), but the Kingpin would very likely clock better due to the improved power delivery. I bet it has the ability for higher voltage offset and power target as well. Specs says "up to 450 watts" but I don't know if that's all available via software of not. (can somebody get a sample so our reviewers can have a crack at it??)

The basic point is that which is the biggest and most badassiest does depend on your exact usage scenario. For myself, either would be obscene overkill.

Yeah, kingpin is great but designed for benching. 780 Ti imo is the king of the hill for gaming in general. Again, Titan is a waste for those that won't utilize DP. Willing to pay another $300-$500 just for 3 GB more of Vram. To each their own FAIL. :p

Each to there own as they say, but from a benching point of view it has to be the KINGPIN.
I did get to see how a friend had his set up recently, mind blowing a 1200w PSU for his set up and a 850w PSU for the GPU!! Set up on a trigger so you switch on the main PSU which then triggers the other for the GPU!

03G-P4-3888-KR_XL_6.jpg

AJ.

Last edited:
Back