• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System installs updates but when powered back on doesn't advance past 0%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hey,

I'm currently dealing with a bit of a worrysome issue. I recently reformatted my system and its attempting to install a big batch of updates
When i allow it to turn the installers (shutting down) it downloads 127 update items, however when i power it back up the configuring updates bar remains at 0% and at some point it stops trying and says "reverting updates", implying it keeps failing to install the updates. My windows version is legal so i really have no clue why this is happening :/

Last edited:
If you just reformatted it, go ahead and wipe it again. and just do a few updates at a time. Its a lot easier to figure out which patch is causing the problem.

If it reverts back, the next time it starts up, check the Windows Event Viewer to see why it is failing. Additionally, if it starts up fine after reverting, don't install 127 updates in a single run.

Assuming the OS is Win7, check the update history for any failed updates, and list them here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-windows-updates-installed#1TC=windows-7

Run the Windows Update troubleshooter...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

... and check out this MS support page:

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Os is win7 ultimate, I tried checking to see if I can separate the updates but it seems to want to dump all 127 items at once.
Perfect I'll check these suggestions when I get home tonight. Also if no one minds a extra detail, my audio drivers are acting up, I.e. Realtek audio manager/soundblaster software refuses to open up, should a driver wipe on safe mode and reinstall do the trick?

You can specify what updates you want to install. By default it will include everything.

Unless something is seriously broken, I don't think a reinstall is required.

Yeah I mean I de fragmented my disk and ran cc cleaner, and found no memory dumps or huge error log files, mostly Internet related crap.
I'll post a screen shot later with the update breakdown so I can receive some pointers as to what things are essential and what is clutter

Thanks for the suggestion guys, i decided to the updates in sets of 25 and its done, also can anyone provide any suggestions for the issue i mentioned with the audio? one of the reasons i bought this mobo is for the decent-performance audio drivers which had been working fantastically with my klipsch sound system until i had to reformat :[

Glad the updates went through for you. If those programs have a tray icon, see if the process starts when you double click the icon. If there is no tray icon, browse to where it is installed and run it manually.

If it won't run or you can find the program to run, remove/reinstall the software. You shouldn't need to cleanup drivers if the front-end application isn't launching.

Also check under hardware to see if everything is actually installed or if drivers are missing.

My work has me reformatting and installing Vista 64bit on a bunch of OptiPlex machines.

Weird thing is if I try and run more than 78 updates at once, it locks up and on reboot reverts all the updates. Running updates at no more than 70 at a times seems to have resolved the issue for me. Doesn't really take much longer and I don't have to worry about it reverting.

My laptop did this and I let it sit there for a long time and it eventually went through. But I've also had it happen some time ago and found out that the Steelseries mouse driver was preventing the update from going through, Steelseires since then updated the driver to work with Win 8.

Had to wipe out the driver and reinstall, then windows updated the drivers and I'm back to awesome audio 83

Back