• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8P67 Deluxe + i5 2500k Stability problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morsky

Hello forums!

It's my first post here so hi everyone :)

So, on to my problem. I've been trying to get my i5 2500k to stable 4,5ghz overclock on P8P67 Deluxe using this post as reference:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6977651&postcount=21
Only changed Phase Control and Duty Control to Extreme.

After succesfully passing prime95 1344 and 1792 tests for about 30minutes each i went for an overnight p95 blend test which failed. :bang head

My load cpu voltage was around 1.344v, idle about 1v. Highest temperature I've noticed was 75 (I'm using Macho hr-02).

I haven't been playing with dram voltages. Funny thing is I was able to achieve 4,4ghz with manual 1,3v which ran perfectly trough p95 test. That 4,5ghz mark isn't that much of a deal for me but it'd be nice to finally get it stabilized.

So dear internet friends, any suggestions how I can get it working?

:welcome:

Your chip may just need a slight bump up in vcore under load to ~1.350/1.355/1.360/1.365v to run 45x longer term stable?

All SB chips will vary in how well they overclock... Some might be a 43x/44x/45x chip... Others a 44x/45x/46x chip... While some can be even little stronger 45x/46x/47x.

The P8P67-Deluxe is a very solid board... My wife's rig is running that board right now with a 2600K... "Crunching" Rosetta 8-threads 24/7 100% (~208 hrs.) load. Cooling is a TR-HR02 with a single TR-140mm fan.

Attachments

• p7p67 deluxe 2600k 45x.PNG
    p7p67 deluxe 2600k 45x.PNG
    103.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Wow, that's impressive! Which thermal paste are you using? I'm currently getting max 70degrees after 2h of load with same cooler.

Generally I'm currently running CPU Offset Voltage - .05, 44x multiplayer and everything seems great.
Sitting at 4.4ghz I need 1.33v to keep it stable.

I've thought about it for a while, is there any reason to push to 4,5? I'd probably have to up the vcore to like 1,36 to get it to boot and stabilizing it would be a pain in the ***. I probably won't even notice those 100mhz. But something tells me i should keep pushing forward :)

I think those Temps are a little high side, whats the air flow like in your case, and the Ambient temps in the house!! If you have a case door try taking that off when running any tests and see if the temps drop! If so then you have a airflow problem, but i would also double check the Thermal Paste and seating of your cooler as well. :shrug:

When you have checked everything come back to us and let us know, what the results are before we look at your OC! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Prime95... especially with (AVX) is much more stressful will run hotter than Rosetta at load. I'll use Prime or LinX sometimes for short term stress testing to help with dialing in an overclock but for long term use I like to run Rosetta, WCG or Folding@home. Those programs are the most stressful ones that I regularly utilize on my computer(s).

I'm using this paste: http://www.tim-consultants.com/matrix2.html

There are probably some better TIM's out there but I switch out cpu(s) often so I decided to purchase a small 50g container quite some time back.

If your chip needs ~1.33v load for 44x... I suspect you have a higher VID sample... You could try switching to manual vcore setting and run your LLC at Ultra High (75%). Start with ~1.350v vcore and bump up towards 1.375v/1.380v vcore to see if your chip will stabilize at 45x? If you do get it to stabilize you can always go back and find a "+ offset" setting that will give you a similar vcore load result. You may also find that the extra 100mhz overclock isn't worth the additional volts/heat etc. and just stick with your original 44x. :shrug: A 2500K at 4.4Ghz is still plenty for "daily" use.

My wife's current settings:

Attachments

• 45x settings.PNG
    45x settings.PNG
    89.6 KB · Views: 60
I would also like to see the OP's bios settings and see what he has changed etc!! It feels like a cookie quick, over clock and needs some help to put thing right some where.

Well at least he has a safe pair of hands with you PolRoger to help him out.

Respectfully,

AJ.

Thank you for your answers! I'll post screenshots first thing in the morning :)

It'd be great if you guys gave me specifics what to change here :)

You could try switching to manual vcore setting and run your LLC at Ultra High (75%). Start with ~1.350v vcore and bump up towards 1.375v/1.380v vcore to see if your chip will stabilize at 45x?

1. Change cpu ratio to: 45
2. Change Load-line Calibration to: #4. Ultra High (75%)
3. Change CPU Voltage to: Manual Mode
4. Set CPU vcore to: 1.350v
5. Your other BIOS settings look fine for now.
6. Save to BIOS and enter Windows
7. Start stress test while monitoring temps.
8. If stress testing fails with CPU vcore set @1.350v... Bump up to 1.360v... Repeat/test etc... Fails?... Bump up to 1.370v... Repeat/test etc...

Back