• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Water Cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

I didn't really know where to put this but I thought I'd just keep it here in the AMD section. I'm starting a new build & am going to post the process as I go along with the hope that I might get recommendations & comments on the components used. Mostly for the cooling section. Not much to see yet.

The case is a Cooler Master HAF-932 full tower. It has 2x230mm fans front & rear (intake) 1x140mm rear (exhaust) The top can accommodate a 360 rad. (which is what I plan to install).

The MB is a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 which seems to be the most popular go to board here on the AMD section.

Here are the first couple of pics. Much more to come.
Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0071.JPG
    DSCF0071.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF0072.JPG
    DSCF0072.JPG
    503.5 KB · Views: 318
In the watercooling section there are a ton of sticky threads you should check out. There are also links to how radiators perform. Give those a look see. But that radiator is a solid performer.

What are you planning on cooling with water?

Why don't you just buy your first water cooling setup in kit form since you are choosing from
XSPC anyway? This kit has the same radiator that you looked at already and has pump and
waterblock with brackets for mounting on AMD AM3+ mobo. Pump is likely okay as I have used
them when using 12V type pump and by that I mean a D5 pump.

http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-rx360-v3-watercooling-kit
RayStorm D5 Photon RX360 V3 WaterCooling Kit

In the watercooling section there are a ton of sticky threads you should check out. There are also links to how radiators perform. Give those a look see. But that radiator is a solid performer.

What are you planning on cooling with water?
Hi, yes I have been researching this new build for about a month & have read all the stick's multiple times (lots of good info there)
I'm planning on building this in phases, 1st phase is going to be CPU only (have to learn to crawl before walking)
Dan

CPU then...................?

I assume not the budget GPU, and mobo's do not need it (for looks certainly).

Why don't you just buy your first water cooling setup in kit form since you are choosing from
XSPC anyway? This kit has the same radiator that you looked at already and has pump and
waterblock with brackets for mounting on AMD AM3+ mobo. Pump is likely okay as I have used
them when using 12V type pump and by that I mean a D5 pump.

http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-rx360-v3-watercooling-kit
RayStorm D5 Photon RX360 V3 WaterCooling Kit
Hi RGone, Kits are nice but I would really like to deviate from some of the items in the kit. tubing, not lighted fans, reservoir. I have a list of the components that I've chosen & want to run each of them past you guys to see what you think.

What do you think about the XSPC RX360 V3?
Dan

CPU then...................?

I assume not the budget GPU, and mobo's do not need it (for looks certainly).
I won't be using the GPU in my sig. That rig. is going to stay as is with the FX 4170 replacing the 8350 so it can be moved to the new build. Phase 2 will look at GPUs. I have a spare GPU that will go in at startup to test how things are working. I'm going large on the rad. so I don't have to turn right around & swap things out.

Depending on the GPU you pick and how far you would like to push that AMD Octo core, a triple rad may not be enough...

If I was you, I would know your final components before getting a radiator. You have to know the load you are going to have before sizing a radiator.

Depending on the GPU you pick and how far you would like to push that AMD Octo core, a triple rad may not be enough...

If I was you, I would know your final components before getting a radiator. You have to know the load you are going to have before sizing a radiator.
I'm not planning on getting a fire burning GPU just one that will allow me to get some decent scores while benching. I'm NOT a gamer & I don't plan on multiple GPUs. If I need to down the road I have room for an additional 120 or 140.

Well, you have a fire breathing CPU already... and if you are benchmarking, you are pushing whatever card to its limit.

Again, know what your components will be before making the purchase. Having a bit of extra room will be helpful but its best to know going into it.

Well, you have a fire breathing CPU already... and if you are benchmarking, you are pushing whatever card to its limit.

Again, know what your components will be before making the purchase. Having a bit of extra room will be helpful but its best to know going into it.
The 8350 doesn't do too bad in my EVO on air right now. The 360 is as large as I can install in this case, so what extra head room would I be able to have?

Dan do you even plan on adding the card into the loop or just air cooled?

The 8350 doesn't do too bad in my EVO on air right now. The 360 is as large as I can install in this case, so what extra head room would I be able to have?
Its stock (according to your signature). When overclocked, these things can skyrocket to well over 200W. You said you were benching so you will be pushing this to the limit as well I assume...

With a mid-range GPU and that CPU 4x120mm is the total rad I would have to keep your DeltaT low.

Great question Johan... you only need the headroom if you plan on watercooling whatever GPU you get. ;)

I have 8350 running 4,5Ghz and HD4870@850Mhz/1000Mhz on my loop with GTX360 radiator and temps stay bellow 60c P95 small FFTs+furmark when fans are limited to 70%. Idle temps are between 30-40c but fans are on 20% bellow 40c.
The fans I have are Scythe Grand Flex PWM fans that spin up to 2400rpm but they have a design flaw that prevents me going near and over 2000rpm. These fans are not suitable for horizontal mounting and everyone should stay away from them. Its a shame cause they are awesome fans.
in case anyone cares here is a link to scythe forums where I am trying to convince them that they have a design flaw and hopefully I can swap them for other model.

Well I don't really know but I was trying to plan ahead like EarthDog said (have extra headroom)

Great question Johan... you only need the headroom if you plan on watercooling whatever GPU you get. ;)

Any GPU with a decent 3rd party cooler like the DCII or twinfrozr etc. really doesn't need any water at stock volts. Some will get a little noisy at 100% fan but that's not even necessary with most.

Back