• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High APU temp readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I just built an A10 6800K based system for some friends. Stock frequency and voltage package temps are in high 70s C under Prime95 blend. Not surprised as many have reported the AMD APUs do not report temps accurately. When I feel the exhaust air coming out of the case and when I finger touch the cooler base/CPU edge and the backside of the motherboard socket circuit there is no way it's really getting that hot. Fees more like 60c or less.

Just a heads up......HWMonitor won't be compatible with the new AMD APUs till the next version (1.25) coming out soon. I got this info from Franck at CPUID. His exact reply to my question, Is HWMonitor compatible with new AMD FM2+ APUs? is as follows....

hello David,

the next release 1.25 will handle that CPU completely, with voltages & powers report.

Thanks,
Franck

Have you tried the MOBO utility, I know we typically avoid such things but it may be close??

Have you tried the MOBO utility, I know we typically avoid such things but it may be close??

Yeah, "FUGU" was really ticked off at the build he has been showing us in CPU section until he started to use his Ai Suite for temps. That is the only section of Ai Suite he loaded. He has not complained and he was fully aware of the Ai Suite issues and why we normally don't use it.
RGone...ster.

Good suggestion, Shawn, about trying the EasyTune utility from Gigabyte that came with the board. It shows top temps under load in mid 40's and that seems to agree with my tactile checks.

Good suggestion, Shawn, about trying the EasyTune utility from Gigabyte that came with the board. It shows top temps under load in mid 40's and that seems to agree with my tactile checks.

That sounds much better. EasyTune really isn't that bad, especially if you want to use fan controls on the mobo.

I'm really impressed with this CPU. I know it would not do great with really demanding apps like high end games or audio/video rendering but for just surfing the net and loading programs and such it's really snappy.

These chips will throttle at 65c. Watch Cpu-z. If your real temps are hitting 70c, then you should be seeing some down-clocking happening.

Odd. i've not had any issues to be concerned about and didn't know these may be inaccurate if at all wrong. Yes I installed my AI suite and had much better luck aftewards but i've also not gotten my chip above 64c in stress testing too.

A10 7850k currently oc'd to 4.5ghz from 3.6ghz

Maybe i'll sit tight until the 1.25 comes out for HWmonitor and maybe it's a good thing I havn't been stressing it too hard with how busy i've been.

If ET 6.0 is correct, I'm not even close to that. Maxing out at about 44c. I think the confusion on how hot these chips can be safely run is mainly due to the inaccuracy of a lot of the reporting software.

I hate to admit it but i've now got my APU system up for sale on the local classifieds. I like messing with the little machine , it's APU setup is interesting but I would rather put the money back in my bank account right now.

also. if hwmonitor is innacurate, then by how much.

HWMonitor was giving me package temps at idle and under load about 30-35c higher than ET6. Is ET6 right on? Don't know but to the touch it certainly seems closer.

HWMonitor was giving me package temps at idle and under load about 30-35c higher than ET6. Is ET6 right on? Don't know but to the touch it certainly seems closer.

HWMonitor doesn't support the Keveri chip yet, so the readings are off. The next release of HWMonitor (1.25) will fully support the Keveri.

Back