• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kasek

looking to slowly build a new computer, i just uilt one last year so this is I guess more of an upgrade.... I need opinions and help. I will list the parts I have and what I want to get and if you can suggest any good options I want reliability without breaking the bank and will be doing this slowly. MY color scheme is white/blue

Case: Xigmatek Elysium (Need)
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77 (Have)
CPU: i5 2500k (Have)
DVD: Have 1 need a second
Ram: Kingston DDR3 8gb (Have 2 want 2 more)
Hdd: Western digital black 2tb and a couple old spare drives for backups (Have)
Fans: I have 8 120mm fans and a HDD fan, need 80mm fan x1
PSU: rosewill lightning 1000w
Black wire sleeving (Need)
Blue Led PCI slot controller (have)

So that is what I have/no what I want. I am only going to have 1 psu in that tower as 2 will be over kill for me. I would like to water cool and have never done it before. What I need is listed below and want suggestions/alternatives reasons why or why not would help me understand.

DVD bay cooler: Evercool Cross Flow system fan (or something better)
Graphics card: Radeon HD 5670 (need an upgrade not crazy but decent)
Watercooling: Feel free to add anything I forgot to list or anything you would recommend removing.
Resevoir: Koolance RP-401X2 single 5.25" was thinking of maybe having an internal reservoir as well a tube style for the look
Calming coils: ? Do they work
Pump: Koolance PMP-400 x2 w/ Heatsink addon
Tubing: ?
Coolant: ?
Additives: ?
Fittings: ?
Filters: ?
Radiators: ? was thinking one on the bottom and top need to no what will fit with my pSU being bottom mounted
Waterblocks: ? CPU/GPU/mosfet/VGA
Any other necessary things?
Ram cooling: Fan? waterblock?
Any PCI Slot add ons that are beneficial: ?

apreciate any help I get thanks

Last edited:
What's your budget for this upgrade?

What resolution is your monitor?

What are you using this for?

What are the specs (or model number) of your RAM?

What's your budget for this upgrade?
About 1000
What resolution is your monitor?
1920x1080
What are you using this for?
Gaming and internet mainly mmos

What are the specs (or model number) of your RAM?
Will habe to post back when home from work and can take it out

GTX 770 -> 329$ and will give you monster gains across the board for gaming.

That would leave roughly 650$ left over for water cooling.

120$ cpu block
120$ gpu block
100$ for radiator, I would get biggest you can get
100$ for fittings
100$ tubing and accessories (probably over kill honestly)
100$ for pump, resevoir, and maybe you can get some temp monitors or a pwm controller.

This entire setup would be neat, but it wont leave you a lot of room to get other parts. If you're not upgrading your major stuff, then you have no reason to be overclocking anyway, so its kind of a catch 22 honestly.

I would highly recommend holding off on the major water cooling until you have the parts to support it. You will eat your entire budget on watercooling, and you really shouldnt be getting an outlandish massive improvement.

I would go this route honestly ->

New case -> 150-180$ for a good one with large fan support, future support for water cooling, and great cable management. Theres too many to list, but that xigmatek one isnt made any more.

Mobo is fine

CPU -> Theres not a whole lot of extra room you get from upgrading this CPU for gaming. I would go for something like the Glacer 240L and overclock the **** out of it myself. 140$

DVD drives? Sure, 20$

RAM -> unless you have **** poor, old ram, theres pretty much 0 reason to upgrade your ram. I will assume the worst, and say get 8gb of 1866+ ram, but if you're just gaming, you will not see any improvement most likely. so 100$ for ram.

HDD -> I would get a 240gb SSD. They are on sale ALLLLL the time at newegg right now. Less than 150$.

Fans -> too many options 15$

thats about 585$, 485 if you dont need ram.

For single 1080p gaming, I would simply say get a gtx 760 (260$), BUT since your budget supports it, and you are looking to water cool, I would say stretch to the gtx 770. Superior frame rates, much higher benchmarks, all around a superior card. 770 is around 340$, so 80$ more.

From there, get a from PWM controller for noise, and you would have a kick *** computer. Youd even have some money left over to start focusing on your water cooling rig, but that should come last unless you can do all of it at once.

GTX 770 -> 329$ and will give you monster gains across the board for gaming.

That would leave roughly 650$ left over for water cooling.

120$ cpu block
120$ gpu block
100$ for radiator, I would get biggest you can get
100$ for fittings
100$ tubing and accessories (probably over kill honestly)
100$ for pump, resevoir, and maybe you can get some temp monitors or a pwm controller.

This entire setup would be neat, but it wont leave you a lot of room to get other parts. If you're not upgrading your major stuff, then you have no reason to be overclocking anyway, so its kind of a catch 22 honestly.

I would highly recommend holding off on the major water cooling until you have the parts to support it. You will eat your entire budget on watercooling, and you really shouldnt be getting an outlandish massive improvement.

I would go this route honestly ->

New case -> 150-180$ for a good one with large fan support, future support for water cooling, and great cable management. Theres too many to list, but that xigmatek one isnt made any more.

Mobo is fine

CPU -> Theres not a whole lot of extra room you get from upgrading this CPU for gaming. I would go for something like the Glacer 240L and overclock the **** out of it myself. 140$

DVD drives? Sure, 20$

RAM -> unless you have **** poor, old ram, theres pretty much 0 reason to upgrade your ram. I will assume the worst, and say get 8gb of 1866+ ram, but if you're just gaming, you will not see any improvement most likely. so 100$ for ram.

HDD -> I would get a 240gb SSD. They are on sale ALLLLL the time at newegg right now. Less than 150$.

Fans -> too many options 15$

thats about 585$, 485 if you dont need ram.

For single 1080p gaming, I would simply say get a gtx 760 (260$), BUT since your budget supports it, and you are looking to water cool, I would say stretch to the gtx 770. Superior frame rates, much higher benchmarks, all around a superior card. 770 is around 340$, so 80$ more.

From there, get a from PWM controller for noise, and you would have a kick *** computer. Youd even have some money left over to start focusing on your water cooling rig, but that should come last unless you can do all of it at once.

thanks for the info. im thinking ill get the case and a dvd drive and then upgrade a few things then watercool it. I more wanted water cooling for the look and so that I could play around with the overclocking and start some more intense games. As for the case not being sold I saw a few for sale at various sites that ill have to get my hands on i want a spacious case cuz my case now is cramped as can be.

im just confused like ow do i pick a reservoir how do i no whats deent or pumps are the ones I listed alright or should i lok at something else. do i need ram cooling or mosfet cooling? what kinda of accessories or additives should i b using?

You'd get much bigger gains out of putting your money towards more off the shelf hardware VS buying a bunch of W/C stuff that'll only make gains for you in synthetic benchamarks.

Much better off spending that money on a GTX770 and some friends for it.

Back