• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extreme2012

Hi everyone I am putting together my next build I know its way overkill but here it is.
caselabs magnum tx10-v with pedestal
mobo, asus x79 rampage 4 black edition
cpu, intel i7 4930k
Ram, gskill trident x 2133 x 64 gigs
ssd, kingston hyper x 3k 240 gb x2
Hdd, wd 3tb black series x 4
corsair 1200i
asus 24in monitor
And for graphics it will be evga 780ti or 780ti kingpin

for cooling not sure what size radiators and how many yet.
primochill ridged acrylic uv green and uv orange running a dual loop
Dual d5 pumps with ek tops
this is for gaming and a little video editing

What monitor? At 24", I'm guessing it's 1080P, which begs the question, why a 780ti?

The power supply is so overpowered, it's laughable. You could easily get away with a very nice, gold/plat-rated 750-850W unit and have plenty of headroom if you wanted to go SLI later.

For the budget of this beast, those SSDs suck. If you're going to RAID 0 them, go for 840 EVOs instead (or something better if it exists now?). If you aren't planning on RAIDing them, then just get one, larger EVO.

Do you need 12TB of space? That's pretty insane. Like 6000 uncompressed DVDs of space...

You'll never use that much ram. That's all I'll say on that one :)

Sounds fun, though. Good luck!

What monitor? At 24", I'm guessing it's 1080P, which begs the question, why a 780ti?

The power supply is so overpowered, it's laughable. You could easily get away with a very nice, gold/plat-rated 750-850W unit and have plenty of headroom if you wanted to go SLI later.

For the budget of this beast, those SSDs suck. If you're going to RAID 0 them, go for 840 EVOs instead (or something better if it exists now?). If you aren't planning on RAIDing them, then just get one, larger EVO.

Do you need 12TB of space? That's pretty insane. Like 6000 uncompressed DVDs of space...

+1

And why possibly a Kinpin? Are you taking it cold? If not, don't bother with it. It doesn't have much better opportunity to overclock any better than lesser models really.

Samsung 840 Pros for this caliber...

You also likely do not remotely need that CPU or that board. We can save your hundreds and keep you on the same overkill platform...what are you using this for?

You also likely do not remotely need that CPU or that board. We can save your hundreds and keep you on the same overkill platform...what are you using this for?

+1

I sorta ignored that because I figured he had his reasons, but if you aren't seriously into benching or have some other obscene need for cores, you can save a ton and go with a 4770k.

Asus 24in 144hz 1ms response 1080p x 3 and thanks about the ssd I am going to sli and ram disk between 16 and 20 GBP ram

+1

And why possibly a Kinpin? Are you taking it cold? If not, don't bother with it. It doesn't have much better opportunity to overclock any better than lesser models really.

Samsung 840 Pros for this caliber...

Gaming and video editing I study astronomy and take tons of video and pictures

There's overkill all over that build. Unless you're doing it just because you can...?

That too and for the case im tired of upgrading every year because I get a bug to upgrade my hardware and cant fit it and if this case doesn't work I need to get out of the hobby lol

I hate to break it to you, but you'll still want to upgrade in a year. There will always be something better. That's part of the fun :)

I agree that's why im looking at a good cpu maxing the ram so this way I only have to look at graphics cards. And going with acrylic tubing and looking at the biggest case with out custom making one

If you want to build an overkill rig (and are doing photography), why don't you dump those trashy low response time TN pannels and get some big ol 1440p IPS monitors? I mean, the whole point of having a really top end GPU (or multiple top end GPUs) is to drive higher resolutions than 1080p. Heck, a GTX 770 should be able to max out anything you throw at it at 1080 nowadays.

If you want to build an overkill rig (and are doing photography), why don't you dump those trashy low response time TN pannels and get some big ol 1440p IPS monitors? I mean, the whole point of having a really top end GPU (or multiple top end GPUs) is to drive higher resolutions than 1080p. Heck, a GTX 770 should be able to max out anything you throw at it at 1080 nowadays.

I was looking for a monitor for gaming more then editing and the asus fits well with want I want it has 144hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, 3d and im going to run three of them in surround

Back