• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boots but i have no display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bort84

Right my computer is 3 years old 3 days ago i turn it on and there was no display to the monitor.

Next i restart and notice it POST fine but still no display. I have troubleshoot everything. I have tried:

- other cables (HDMI DVI)
- another monitor
- swapping the RAM round
- taking the RAM out completely to see if the Motherboard is fine (it gave me long beeps so yes)
- i tried the RAM 1 at a time in the different slots
- cleaning any dust
- evening taking everything out and bread boarding it.
- i have tried unplugging everything but the graphics card

at this point i think its my graphics card so i get a new one. I install the new card, and the same issue.

What can it be? everything appears to be running the motherboard gives me the 1 beep to suggest this. The only thing left is the power supply. I have a Corsair HX 520w modular. Its about 7 years old and has been a great servant, but do you think the problem I'm having suggest it's not providing enough juice any more? remember everything was operational for the last 3 years and the set up didn't change, all the same components and then the other day a black screen and a normal boot beep.

If anyone has had this issue advice would be appreciated

Thanks

You should list the components in the system.
Cpu
Motherboard
GPU
Does the Cpu have an integrated Gpu?

Need more info ya.

But it does sound like you're GPU died.

Bake it maybe, or if it's that old get another.

*Edit* frig, you put another in, sorry pondering.

Sounds silly I guess, but is the cable not chewed on by pets or anything ????

*edit* again I guess you did try other cables, pondering more.

Only think I can think of atm might be a MOBO issue.

Last edited:
How do you know it POSTs if you can't see anything on the monitor? Does the motherboard have multiple LEDs to indicate successful boot?

I'd borrow another power supply or measure your PSU's voltages with a digital multimeter. Don't bother with a PSU tester unless it has a digital readout, but those cost more than a multimeter. Try another video card, even if it's a super-slow one, even a PCI card (if your motherboard has PCI slots in addition to PCI-E slots).

if he see's the post screen then goes blank outside chance it could be a video driver issue

Back