• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Metro: Last Light

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

The developers seam to have addressed weaknesses to be found in the game play of many traditional single player FPS campaigns that had long devolved to an interactive movie/shooting gallery sideshow, to the multiplayer scene. To create an edge of your seat type of journey that is still linear, but forces you to think on the fly and lessons the viability for the player to simply hang back and slowly grind a path with his sniper rifle and near limitless ammo. By use of the filter mechanism, limited ammo and a style of enemy encounters that forces you out of your comfort zone, like human enemies that bob and weave when you aim at them, suppress your last known position and try and frag or flank you out of your hold out.

Metro gets credit for its amazing atmosphere and graphics, But where I think Metro showed me the most potential was in its Gunplay and it's unique take on combat in general which doesn't get enough attention. Maybe because it's under used. Which brings me to the games weaknesses.

The games #1 weakness is that it did not capitalize more on its unique and new found strengths. IE: The dirty lens rarely obscures your view in a meaningful way, they could have applied it a little more.

If The last 1 minute or less of air in a cartridge would be discarded when swapped, it would have made for some tighter decision making, should I change it now and discard 40 seconds? or risk needing to swap during an enemy encounter.

Most importantly, too many of the games chapters feel easy and devoid of the combat challenges that I like most about the game. I understand that every level cant be a brawl, but some randomization of enemy encounters / booby traps, or additional dangerous patrols (man or beast) could have added some excitement to these levels on a second run.

The Tower pack DLC for example achieves the best feeling Gun Play/Combat I've experienced in any game. I play Metro with a controller and have completed each tower level multiple times, normal difficulty, and I still love playing these trials. Had these scenarios occurred in the campaign with a little added context, would have helped alleviate the GAMEplay void left by Metros less dangerous, sight seeing oriented chapters.

I also feel like they got their level balance perfected in the Library mission found in the faction pack. Managing to fit much of what Metro is about into one level, but again, the best of metro appears as DLC, separated from the greater relevance of the campaign.

It may sound like I'm knocking Metro, but games I don't like don't get this kind of attention from me, I always pick at the games I love. I can't believe this game almost didn't happen, I also feel it's a game that with 10% more effort, could have achieved disproportionately more than it has. This game left me jonesing hard for another Metro game.

I'm now onto Metro 2033!

Last edited:
"like human enemies that bob and weave when you aim at them, suppress your last known position and try and frag or flank you out of your hold out." FEAR had all this AI behavior except for the suppressing fire, so did Far Cry 3.

I was thinking about trying F.E.A.R

I had the opportunity to/misfortune of briefly trying Far Cry on the Wii and can't picture ever giving it a second look. If they ever make another Metro, I want it day 1. I just hope they make it more challenging

If you do try F.E.A.R, please don't play it backwards. I found it to be your typical "first one was best and it went downhill from there" type trilogy. First one was a good mix of horror, suspense, and action. Second was a bit more straight forward action but still kept me on the edge of my seat. Third one just seemed like a generic FPS.

I just purchased and d'ld Metro 2033 and last light this weekend on Steam. Won't be able to play till next weekend but looking forward to it.
Fear was a good game, Not a great game IMO. I agree play the first one. I didn't really care for 2 and didn't try 3.
I really enjoyed the Stalker series, If you haven't given them a try I would suggest it.

Absolutely loved FEAR for the time it had come out, was not a fan of the games following though.

I really enjoyed the Stalker series, If you haven't given them a try I would suggest it.

+1 to that, especially if you insist on playing things in reverse, as I believe Stalker and Metro are supposed to be in the same game universe, Stalker just came first :D

Back