• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Does SATA port matter for SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I've got a shiny new SSD inbound and want to take best advantage of it in my signature rig. The mobo is an MSI 880GMA-E45 which uses an AMD 880G chipset.

I wonder if all SATA ports are equal (or if some are more equal than others. ;) ) I've got a couple of hard drives and a smaller SSD along with a DVD drive that are using SATA. I'm wondering if I should just grab the next open SATA connector or if there is any benefit to selecting a particular arrangement.

The specs for the chipset list 6 SATA ports so I suppose all 6 mobo ports are on the chipset vs. some on chipset and others on a secondary controller.

Any RAID I implement will be using Linux MD so that's not an issue. And AFAIK I can boot from any drive so not an issue there either. (Might need the bootloader on the first drive to get past the BIOS.)

I recall with IDE that devices which shared a cable were master and slave and mixing them the wrong way could compromise performance. (I always tried to stick with one device/connection.) I'm unaware if there are any similar considerations WRT SATA. I don't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Last edited:
All of your SATA ports are SATAIII on the SB850 Southbridge, so they should all perform the same.

Back