• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI 680 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oenigmaa

Registered
Confusion about adapters.

So, currently I am running on SLI 680's. The video adapter ports include: 1 DVI-D, 1 DVI-I, and an HDMI.

Picture for reference, except I have 2: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/186643-4.jpg

I have one display hooked up to DVI-D, and one display hooked up to HDMI, totaling two monitors. Although, both of these adapters are on one card. The bottom card is completely empty of connections to my monitors, although I want it to be seeing that I have another display coming in. When attempting to plug my HDMI connection into the bottom GPU, nothing happens at all. That GPU is fully functional when it comes to performance, so is that configuration simply not allowed, or is something wrong with the connection?

If there is something wrong with it, I have a solution to the problem, only if this happens to be possible. The new display I have coming in will be running in HDMI, and I would like to replace this for my other monitor's HDMI slot. For the monitor I currently have hooked up to the HDMI, I have an HDMI-DVI-D converter that I plan on using. Although, the only open slot left I would have would be a DVI-I. Is it possible to input a DVI-D connection to a DVI-I?

Sorry if this may have been a tad confusing, I tried to explain it the best I could.
Thanks in advance!

To sum it up, the video adapter ports on my bottom card are not working. The only time my monitors will work is if I plug it into the top card. I've heard that disabling SLI, plugging in the monitors, and re-enabling May work. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Most cables you'll find are DVI-D, and they will fit in a DVI-I port.

As ATMINSIDE said, I'm pretty sure in SLI the 2nd cards outputs are disabled. In my SLI setup I have both my monitors plugged into the first card.

If I'm following...2 cards in sli driving 2 monitors? Should work fine using either both dvi ports on the 1st card or 1 monitor on card1's primary dvi and the 2nd monitor on the card2's primary dvi. On my setup (3 monitors, though)....I plug each monitor into the primary dvi port on each of the 3 cards.

Maybe take a look here to see if it helps: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

Looking here (http://www.nvidia.in/object/sli-technology-multimonitor-in.html) it looks like NV wants you to connect both monitors to the primary vga card.

My suggestion is that for 2 cards with 2 monitors, plug the monitors into the primary vga card via the dvi ports. As/when you add a 3rd monitor, follow the guidance in the first link I posted. Works like a charm. If you don't absolutely NEED to connect your monitor via hdmi then don't.

Btw...just to confirm....you've got the sli connector connecting both cards to each other, right?

Back