• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will my pump be ok for my sub loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skywalker311

Registered
Hello, first I want to say hi and that I'm new on this site but not building PC's. I've done 6 for myself and a few for friends and family. I've also done water cooling before but this will be my first Sub loop.
So I've got a Monsoon Series 2 DDC Premium Dual Bay Reservoir with a Swiftech MCP655-PWM-pump. On my reservoir it has the option for a sub loop.
It has 2 inlet ports and 2 outlet ports. So I wont to know if my pump will be ok and not burn out. What I want to do is use the top outlet for #1 loop and that will be for the EK ram water block to the EK cpu water block to the EK water block for the VRM / MOSFETs then to my 420 EK rad.
My bottom ports will be loop #2 and it go to the EK water block for the Z87 intel express chipset then to the EK 780 water block to the Black Ice 280 rad then back to the res.
Will this be ok on my pump. If by chance you have done a sub loop or know of someone that done it . Please get me in touch with them and see how it went for them. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
First no need to cool ram... no point (outside of looks) and ram blocks are historically quite restrictive. SB does not need cooled either.

What system is this going in? You have a 780 but are mentioning a northbdrige which to me means quite an old platform. Id save your money on a new loop and get a modern platform personally.

It a ASUS Maximus VI formula Mobo and they just use to call it North and south bridge It just easier to explain it that way. If it needs to be correct then the Northbridge chipset and the intel Z87 express chipset. I already have the parts and water blocks. See I like to do custom PC's.
From modding and painting my case to water cooling, changing or adding RGB led lights to add Paracord to my power supply cables.

The 'northbridge' is in the CPU on that platform (been that way for 3 generations now for Intel). Did you get a VRM cooler for that board (cools power delivery area around the socket) I take it but calling it "northbridge"?

Ok the VRM / MOSFETs chipset and the intel Z87 express chipset. Dose that make you feel better. lol

Listen kid, take that sarcasim elsewhere. Earth is taking time out of his day to try to help you who obviously is clueless not just on simplifying what components you have. List everything you got and what you want to cool. Not a cat and mouse game as we don't have time for that. If you want to take this serious, take a read on our watercooling guidelines and understand what watercooling is about, what it will take to cool your heatload and how to maintain it all.

LOL, thanks Jack, but go easy... :). Yeah, was just making sure I had a clear idea on what you wanted to cool is all. A chipset is not a vrm like a car is not a boat. A chipset is there to pass data through to parts on the board (essentially) while a the vrm/fets are there to power the board.

Ok, that out of the way, list the hardware you are planning on cooling and we can help out with rad size and such. :)

Ok ok I was just joking! Dam Earthdog Know I was kidding. I've edit my post. So now it has the correct info! So if someone could please just tell me if my pump will be ok. Thanks.
I already have everthing that I've listed.

5 blocks in total included 2 very restrictive ones... its a solid pump and should be fine... but... that is a lot of stuff.

Post up a build log when you get the parts!

Thanks, I'm also using PrimoChill 1/2OD and 3/8in acrylic tubing. I'm bending the tubing now and trying to have as many straight pieces as possible so it wont be so restrictive.

The tubing is the least of your worries... it is the blocks, specifically the ram and vrm blocks that are your flow killers.

Are the ports on your res pressurized or just in/out ports? You could have the one res feeding two pumps and thus two loops with no problem.
I was considering this but many many people said it was pretty pointless.
Sell the pointless blocks or run two seperate cooling loops fed by a single res. A 120.1 is tons of cooling for chipset ram and vrm.
You could run smaller lines, smaller cheaper pump.

I'm not selling any of my parts!! lol. I'm building a kick a$$ PC. If anything I can always buy a another tube res and a pump. I really think that it will work. One of the really cool things about the phanteks enthoo primo is that it made for water cooling. I think I'll be ok. I still have alot of work to do. I'm doing a custom ROG theme. I've got all the cables that I have to paracord. Then add the RGB light strips.Plus I've got little bit of painting and custom metal stickers. After it all built I'll run it normal for 24 hours then I'll overclock the cpu and run prime 95 for another 24 hours. If I have no problems then I'll overclock my gpu then run it's stress test. So on and so on until it running right.

I was also going to say that I'm running my rads in a push/pull configuration and I have a big 420 rad for the ram block to the cpu block to the VRM / MOSFETs block. Then I have the 280 rad for the Z87 express block then to the gpu block. The rads have great fans. I'm using corsair af140. Then I have 5 phanteks 140mm fans that came with the case to. Which I'll probability only use 3 of them, but we'll have to see.

Id still look at dividing up the pump duty. one res, two loops. otherwise everything in the machine is going to suffer by the super high restriction stuff.
have a main loop hooked up to your biggest rad servicing ONLY the cpu and any gpus, then everything else on a seperate loop. they can both feed and draw from the same res. as long as one isnt creating a ton more heat than the other you wont have any problems. as long as the lines that feed into the res are post rad, should all work just fine. this actually has an added effect where if one loop is overloaded for heat, having too small a rad or what not, the other loop will help to remove some of that heat. your average temps should be better.

there are a lot of people here who probably know a great deal more than i do but i serious do not recommend running a very long series loop.

but, should be a pimpin system to look at when you get it all done. Im all for watercooling everything possible, but there is a point of limtied practicality. servicability of watercooled parts is a real issue you might consider some QDC's if you ever muck with your hardware.

With the better designed products nowadays we usually advise a single loop as its pretty effective. You might save a few degrees with having dual loops but your cost will be higher. It isn't really worth it nowadays. The dual loop days are pretty much done with unless you're doing a show case or diehard overclocker on CPU and GPUs looking for reducing every inch in temps. A single loop should handle it all no problem. Just need to make sure your heat surface is sufficient enough for your heat load with matched up fans.

Back