• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I push it some more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telep_man

Registered
Hi,
I finally bought Hyper 212 Evo for my FX-6300 and it dropped the temps by 20C on stock clock . Now it's OC'ed to 4.2GHz (200x21) which was my goal originally but seing the temps are so nice I'm wondering if I can go for 4.4, or even further.
Here's my system specs:

MB: M5A97
CPU: FX-6300
cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: 2x4GB 1333MHz CL9 1.5V Kingston
GFX: GTX 660 2GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
PSU: Thermaltake SPS-630M
Case: CM Elite 332 with Arctic Cooling F12 fan on the back

OC settings: all the green features are enabled, Vcore set to offset +0.0375V, CPU LLC enabled, CPU-NB LLC disabled, turbo core disabled, everything else on auto.

CPU-Z reports 1.272V on load and 1.2V on idle (when it's at full clock).
Max temp in IBT 53C socket, 43C cores.

So, can I?

Let's see a screenshot of HWMonitor, CPUz, and Prime95. Run them all and take the SS at 20min.

Looks like it won't be that easy. IBT is fine, but Prime95 blend test fails practically at start, even when I add +0.075V. And it's always workers 5 and 6. Anyway I'll have to continue with this tomorow, can't keep my eyes open anymore!

4.0 so far

OK I did a blend test using +0.075V (up to 1.32 in CPU-Z) at 4.0GHz and it looks good. It faled at 4.2 at the same voltage. Are these voltage reqs normal?
4_0_GHz.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
edit: hope this does it.

Attachments

• 4_0_GHz.jpg
    4_0_GHz.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I would hazard a guess that you will need more than 1.25 to 1.32v to make that puppy stable. Add some VCore ......

Some of us can't see external pictures at work.
Please click "Go Advanced" and use the paper clip icon to attach pictures to the forum directly.

I ended up over 1.4 volts for a 4.5GHz overclock on the 6300. Of course yours will be different but you'll need more volts for higher OC. And look at increasing the front side bus in conjunction with the multiplier, I was able to use less volts doing this. 1.55 volts should be the default max in your bios.

I think I run 1.45V on my 6300 for daily use. These things are safe up to 1.5V at least for 24/7 usage as long as you can keep temps down.

Bumped the Vcore to +0.1V offset = 1.34V in CPU-Z and it seems to be enough for 4.2GHz. The VRM cooler was pretty hot, but I could still keep my finger on it (don't know how else to check:eh?:). I'm not sure how I should raise FSB. I have the base clock, and I have something I think is called rated FSB and HT something. I can set any number for base clock, and I'm given several values to choose for the other 2, with 200MHz steps (when the base clock is 200MHz). What are the desired values? And what other voltages do I need to change if I findle with FSB? Sorry for these noobish questions, it seems a lot of things changed since the 775 days :).

Attachments

• 4.2.jpg
    4.2.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 111
Well if you haven't done so yet it would be a good time to read through this guide, it'll help you understand the relationships going on here with the reference clock /HT / CPU_NB and ram. As you raise the base clock up from 200 the other frequencies will rise as well So it's best to lower the Ram frequency before you start and keep the other 2 around 2000.
Your temps are still good and I would continue upwards with the multi at this point and use the Reference clock later to dial thing in.

Well if you haven't done so yet it would be a good time to read through this guide, it'll help you understand the relationships going on here with the reference clock /HT / CPU_NB and ram. As you raise the base clock up from 200 the other frequencies will rise as well So it's best to lower the Ram frequency before you start and keep the other 2 around 2000.
Your temps are still good and I would continue upwards with the multi at this point and use the Reference clock later to dial thing in.

OK now I'm confused. If I'm reading the guide right there is no consistent scaling with different CPUNB/HT combinations, but increasing them requires more Vcore. And you say keep both at 2000 - then why change the base clock at all?

The base clock has it's place. Before the Black Edition that was the only way to OC. The multi was locked. Some will find they can get a "better" OC using a combination of Multi and Ref Clock. A bit lower voltage at times. But when you reach a certain point and you will where it takes too muchvoltage for that next multiplier you can bump up the Ref a bit and get 50-60 more MHzout of it. I usually always run a higher Ref clock. Others don't you just have to find where you like it. Yo can also use it to get a specific ram speed.

The base clock has it's place. Before the Black Edition that was the only way to OC. The multi was locked. Some will find they can get a "better" OC using a combination of Multi and Ref Clock. A bit lower voltage at times. But when you reach a certain point and you will where it takes too muchvoltage for that next multiplier you can bump up the Ref a bit and get 50-60 more MHzout of it. I usually always run a higher Ref clock. Others don't you just have to find where you like it. Yo can also use it to get a specific ram speed.

That in yellow is every bit true to a great extent for some systems and not so much for others as relates to getting a shade more cpu mhz with a little less Vcore or a little more cpu Mhz with the same Vcore when approaching the MAX for a particular cpu. It is up to each and every user to test and tune for the best overall performance since it is a true variable.

What I use the FSB/HT Ref Freq for is to jockey my ram to an overclocked speed and also to position my CPU_NB and HT Link Speed to the speed I prefer they be.

Granted jockeying the ram speed and CPU_NB and HT Link Speed are not going to give "giant" performance increases, but they are "free" performance boosters if the ram is overclockable. So I never leave the bios without some added FSB to my multiplier.
RGone...

It failed Prime95 at 4.4 using +0.125V. Then I tried IBT on very high and it passed 5 turns. In fact the Vcore reported by CPU-Z was higher than Prime95, as well as the temps. VRM cooler was so hot I could only keep my finger on it for a few seconds. It reached 52C for both socket and cores on Crysis 2. Should I leave it at that? Everything but Prime seems stable, not sure why I should stress my computer more if everything but that one torture test runs fine.

Attachments

• 4.4.jpg
    4.4.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 94
Finally it's Prime stable at 4.4 (8 rounds of blend test). I bumped the Vcore some more, enabled CPUNB LLC (not sure if it helped at all), and I enabled High Performance Computing mode (whatever that is). I'm not too happy with the temps, tho. Gonna test it with H.264 encoding and some games to see what I got.
How does it look to you, guys?

Attachments

• 4.4 Prime stable.jpg
    4.4 Prime stable.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 86
Back