• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED RIFT, assuming other games have had same issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

:bang head

OK here's the run down. I don't play this game, the wife and son do.

I just did some work to the wife's computer to give it a bit more life.

Everything at stock speed.
i7 920
6 gig ram
EVO 120 gig hd
Win 7 home prem. 64 bit.
MSI GTX 460 hawk talon attack

Now the system previously ran this game fine on XP SP3 and a spinner everything else the same as above. Only changes are Win 7 and SSD.

The game when entering either doesn't show the lead in or either the screen starts flickering and the best way I could describe it was a DIO concert that I went to that would give Floyd a run for their money.

I'm shooting in the dark here since I really don't know my way around win 7 but guessing it has something to do with DX11 vs DX9, their site is worthless for help so far. DX11 is installed and the card is DX11 capable. I have tried right clicking on it and let windows try to solve the issue by running it in a compatibility mode but no dice.

Video drivers to date? Tried the latest beta driver from nvidia? Can tell you that Rift isn't a DX11 game at all, but several months ago a windows update prevented many from being able to launch Rift.

Last edited:
Video drivers to date? Tried the latest beta driver from nvidia? Can tell you that Rift isn't a DX11 game at all, but several months ago a windows update prevented many from being able to launch Rift.

Drivers are up to date. I downloaded and installed that thing I don't know how many times and one of the strange things is TWICE I was able to load it and get it to work perfectly THEN after a reboot it would start acting up again.

I hunted up about everything I could on DX and some argued that DX11 is backwards compatible while others said no. Just strange it would work right then not after a reload.

could have something to do with a newer version of dx, seeing as how windows xp only can do dx9? iirc. try updaing older dx versions i know some of my games install dx9 and 10 sometimes to make sure they have everything they need.

could have something to do with a newer version of dx, seeing as how windows xp only can do dx9? iirc. try updaing older dx versions i know some of my games install dx9 and 10 sometimes to make sure they have everything they need.

This game doesn't offer to update DX or even check it, well not that I can see during the install. I will have to hunt up how to check if win 7 will let me have the old DX and new DX at the same time.

Right. Reinstall the game, if it prompts for DX9.....just let it install.

I have installed this game at least six times, it is very vague about what it is doing during install.

When I used the most up-to-date drivers for my AMD 6970 on Windoze 7, Far Cry 3 wouldn't work anymore. Maybe you should try a different version of driver.

When I used the most up-to-date drivers for my AMD 6970 on Windoze 7, Far Cry 3 wouldn't work anymore. Maybe you should try a different version of driver.

I have tried several version of the drivers. I haven't been able to get back to it to try the DX9 yet, I'm hoping that is my issue. I really don't want to have to put a second OS on this computer just for some stupid game but she wont let it go.

I would suggest trying another game to see if the problem persists.

Secondly, Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode for WinXP SP3? I know for a fact Rift works on a DX11 system as I play it, on both my 270x and HD5850. I did not however have to do anything to get it going.

DX is in fact backwards compatible, and has been for a very long time. (I have DX11 installed and play DX9/10 games, iRacing also works fine)

Also, if you goto run and do "dxdiag" you can check for conflicts or errors.

Thanks Luke, Thanks all for the help.

I have tried other games and they are working fine. Also I have tried the XP compatibility mode with no luck.

Back