• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Socket Temp..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anthony279

CPU is being cooled by Hyper 212 evo, I can get to 4.4GHZ and the temps are 69C on the socket and my cores are 51C after 30min of prime95. I try to get 4.5GHZ and temps go above 72C on the socket and throttles. Would buying a bigger cooler like Thermalright SilverArrow SB-E Extreme or something in that size range help at all with the socket temp enough it would matter? I tired fans in every direction the only placement that did anything was a fan on the back of the board on-top of the Socket itself and it only brought the temp down 3 degrees Celsius. I have a 20 degree difference between socket and core.

I had similar issues as you when I tried putting an FX8350 in the Pro board. Here's a link to my thread
As much air as you can get through that case is important. When I put the fan on the back of my socket I directed the air toward the socke and got about 10°. In the end I just got a more suitable board for it. Your M5A will run an FX but you'll find that you're pretty much at the end of it's abilities to power that CPU

I had similar issues as you when I tried putting an FX8350 in the Pro board. Here's a link to my thread
As much air as you can get through that case is important. When I put the fan on the back of my socket I directed the air toward the socke and got about 10°. In the end I just got a more suitable board for it. Your M5A will run an FX but you'll find that you're pretty much at the end of it's abilities to power that CPU

Thanks for the link! I figured i was pushing at max with the board. It is just irritating i have head room on the cores but the socket temp is what stops me.
Decision time be happy at 4.4GHZ or go for a better board.

anthony279, mounting a fan on both the VRM/NB heatsinks as well as the back of the motherboard should get socket them closer to the core temp. With that method usually the difference will be arounf 10c not 18c like you have.

EDIT: and props to you, two posts and signature already. :thup:

anthony279

EDIT: and props to you, two posts and signature already. :thup:

Heck yes and that is good to come in and be with the program. Wish we had different news but 4.5ish in round numbers is about it I think both "mandrake" and "johan" found out. So I would be careful spending much money toward cooling unless it would cross right over onto a more robust mobo.
RGone...

Heck yes and that is good to come in and be with the program. Wish we had different news but 4.5ish in round numbers is about it I think both "mandrake" and "johan" found out. So I would be careful spending much money toward cooling unless it would cross right over onto a more robust mobo.
RGone...

You are correct Rgone, 4.5 was the top on my M5A99X Evo, others have faired a bit better but not much.

4.4 is not shabby and in reality the difference between that and say 4.8, unless benching the cpu or doing real work on the rig, is negligible.

Thanks everybody for the info and the warm welcome! I will leave it at 4.4 for now and keep it in the back of my mind to look out for a good sale on a new MOBO. Going to switch my focus and see what i can get out of the GPU..

Back