• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx8320 + Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinnnnn

Registered
Can someone help me with oc on this combo? I already have it on 4.2Ghz, and it is stable, runned prime95 for 1 hour, no problems. The cores temps are fine, i just think that the socket temp is kinda high.

What can i do to improve my oc? I would like ot reach 4.5GHz. I have a Raijintek Themis Cooler.
Here are my settings:

zwPBlSK.png <br>
alagMht.png <br>
pUVLCQJ.png <br>
cHiU53X.png <br>
2NMUlgX.png <br>
knhvWTy.png <br>

It works better if you host the images through the forum directly instead of linking to other hosting sites. While I am at work, and I am sure it is the same with others, I cannot see pictures hosted from certain sites.

It works better if you host the images through the forum directly instead of linking to other hosting sites. While I am at work, and I am sure it is the same with others, I cannot see pictures hosted from certain sites.

You still cant see it?

Here you go.

Attachments

• 140314042002.png
    140314042002.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 7,559
  • 140314042014.png
    140314042014.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 7,592
  • 140314041941.png
    140314041941.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 7,850
  • Sem Título.png
    Sem Título.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 7,565
  • 140314042045.png
    140314042045.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 7,554
  • 140314042026.png
    140314042026.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 7,581
The motherboard you are using is not a good match for the heat and power draw of the FX-family of CPUs, at least when they are significantly overclocked. It is only a 4+2 powerphase board I believe and you really need an 8+2 powerphase board to expect a decent overclock. With the Asus line, the overclocking community here has reached the consensus that only the Sabertooth and Crosshair models are really up to it.

The motherboard you are using is not a good match for the heat and power draw of the FX-family of CPUs, at least when they are significantly overclocked. It is only a 4+2 powerphase board I believe and you really need an 8+2 powerphase board to expect a decent overclock. With the Asus line, the overclocking community here has reached the consensus that only the Sabertooth and Crosshair models are really up to it.

Its a 6+2 power phase, its the M5A97 EVO R2.0

We have two helpers that remain in this forum and help almost daily with AMD CPU situations. One of them had the M5 EVO board and the other had the M5 PRO mobo and both reported the same roadblock at about 4.5Ghz since neither of those boards had a robust enough VRM circuit to supply power to an 8 core with stability beyond about 4.5Ghz.

Now that said it is nearly obvious from the low Vcore you are supplying to that 8 core that it will not be stable at 4.5Ghz no matter which board is used. You need to give it some Vcore aka cpu voltage. Might need between 1.375V and maybe as much as 1.4Volts to the cpu.

Give the cpu some voltage. There is one fair size fly in the ointment though and that is a socket/Cpu temp shown in HWMonitor of 69c and it is suggested not to exceed 70c so you are in need of some air going over the cpu socket and the VRMs. Especially if you wish to go higher and with stability.
RGone...

I read somehere, that amd sometime after release the fx8320 said that the max socket temp was 82ºC and the max core tem was 72ºC

If you read it on the internet, it has to be true, I suppose. Go for it if you think those newer temps you read are accurate. I don't believe it myself and neither do the mobo makers since the boards will have almost everyone throttled back at least the VRMs when that sort of Socket temp is reached.
RGone...

Well there you are a spreadsheet of what the individual user was usinng for Vcore and by board. LLC would show higher voltage under load and HWMonitor does not reflect a high Vcore Max when loaded so CPU_LLC is not suspicious for your higher socket temps. Heck I have a 120mm fan blowing on my VRMs and overflowing onto the NB. Most of us that push these cpus have air getting directly to the VRM and overflowing onto the cpu socket area and NB.
RGone...

there are 2 temps, the Cpu Package, which shouldnt be more than 62, and the "Cpu", which is the socket one, that should be more than 72ºC, am i right?

Now I changed:

CPU/NB Manual Voltage to 1.3
CPU VDDA to 2.5
NB Voltage to 1.1
NB HT Voltage to 1.2

The rest is the same, and this is the temps i'm getting after some time on prime95

LL

That temp you hilighted is not your socket temp. Please continue to use HWMonitor. I would say your CPU is the socket and the package is the core from that snip and they're still 20° apart which is going to stop you from reaching your max OC. As RGone has said it's the board that is causing the heat ATM. Plus your CPU cooler is just slightly better than a CM Hyper from what I have gathered so if we can get your socket temps under control we may get you close to the 4.5 you're looking for.
Here's a couple things you can do that will help cool things off in that area.
Here's a small fan on the back of the mobo
Capturefan.PNG
This is some fans on the VRM heatsinks courtesy of Trents If my memory is correct.
vrm fans.jpg

Also I think all these fans are held on with double sided tape and really not too difficult to install.

Yes i know that the CPU is the Socket Temp, and the Cpu 0 is the core temps. I already have the amd stock fan on the vrm.. Should i put more 80mm fans? The double side tape will not "burn" with the heat?

They don't get that hot and yes the more air the better as RGone said he has a 120mm fan rigged up in there , how's your case air flow?

Pretty good, i got a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. Since i have a cooler on cpu, i cant have room for a 120 mm fan on vrm..

Looks like a decent case but they're made to run quiet. Not sure how much air those stock fans push. My case moves about 300CFM when I have it maxed out.

I read somehere, that amd sometime after release the fx8320 said that the max socket temp was 82ºC and the max core tem was 72ºC

Max temps meaning max safe temps or max stability temps? Heat-related instability occurs before reaching unsafe temps.

Its a 6+2 power phase, its the M5A97 EVO R2.0

I stand corrected. But it still may be inadequate for the eight core core FX CPUs when overclocking. I have the Asus M5A99x evo paired with the FX-6300 at 4.5 ghz with fan blowing on the motherboard socket area backside. I suggest you employ one of those backside fans as Johan45 also suggested. I had to cut a hole in my right side case panel to accommodate it but it was worth it.

Back