• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MSI board + 6400k runs hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukenukemx

Got a new motherboard and cpu to replace the old blown out ones in a HTPC. One problem I noticed is that the CPU fan runs at max speed, and it's noisy. Checked the temperature of the CPU in the bios and it reads 36C. No problems there. Called MSI tech and they had me install Speccy to see the CPU temp. It reports 70C. WTF?

Looking deeper HWiNFO64 shows two temps. One low at 19C, and one high like 70C. The MSI guy believes somethings wrong with the AMD chip, but can this happen? I know the thermal compound is correct, and the heatsink is sitting on it just fine. Put my hands around it and feel nothing hot anywhere.

It is well-known that most temp monitoring software does not accurately report the AMD APU temps correctly. It usually reports it significantly higher than it actually is. Try the hardware monitoring utility that came with the motherboard.

Sorry, returned the motherboard. Got a Gigabyte but the problem stays the same. BIOS says low temp, but all Windows applications show high temp. But of course, the GA-F2A88XM-D3H has super hot VRMs in Prime95 and would crash Windows. Had to put in a heatsink on them. BTW, CPU is now a A10 6800K.

I guess no Windows based application can read this APU's temp correctly.

Install the Gigabyte EasyTune6 software and see what it says about temps.

It doesn't even run. ET6 just loads up and gone. I may have to reinstall the OS on this machine.

Back