• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded to 780 ti SLI, having freezing issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fast96se

System specs

i5 4670k @ 4.6hz // 780 TI classified SLI // 16gb DDR3 1600 // Asus maximus VI formula // corsair AX860

I recently upgraded from a gtx670 4gb to 2 780 TI classified. This is my first experience with sli. The cards are not overclocked right now. I've been having freezing issues mainly with battlefield4. It occurs randomly. Once it happened about 4 times in a 2+ hour session. On the other hand it froze twice back to back. It freezes for about 5-10 seconds.

I also tried tomb raider and after about 30 minutes it froze my entire system and I had to hard reset. I tried disabling SLI and it still froze in battlefield.

I'd also like to state that before installing the new cards I didnt uninstall my drivers or anything(I asked about this on a few forums and was told it would be fine, that GEforce experience would just sort it out on its own). Someone mentioned that I just may have a defective card.

At times you can get away with not changing drivers, but in going to SLI is not what I what try my luck in doing so.

Uninstall your current drivers and reinstall the latest. If that does not work, roll back one driver version.

Ok would you recommend using driver sweeper or anything? It's been years since I've had to uninstall drivers(it was when I still had my ATI card) would you mind giving me a quick refresher just so I do it correctly

For the moment, just do it from the add/remove programs and get the driver and physx driver. Reboot, install driver.

I never install GFExperience... not needed (that should uninstall with the drivers though I THINK?). Precision X will be fine.

When you do the driver install go to custom install then check the box in the driver setup to do a clean install.:cool::popcorn:

Upgraded to 780 ti sli and having freezing issues[updated]

I've already posted about this before about a week ago, I'm just gonna repost an updated version.
System Specs:
i5 4670k 4.6ghz
gtx 780 Ti classified SLI
asus maximus vi formula
16gb ddr3 1600
Corsair ax860
samsung 840 evo 250gb // WD caviar black 1 TB
1440p display @ 110hz

I upgraded from a 4gb gtx 670 SC to 2 gtx 780 ti classfieds. I have been having freezing problems in battlefield 4 ever since. Just a freeze that lasts around 5 seconds usually.(1 of them resulted in a BSOD). They seem to happen randomly. I can go 30 minutes without a freeze, or It can freeze like 10 times in a single match. Just gonna throw it out there, dont try and say its because BF4 has alot of issues, Im aware of them. I've never had this problem prior to putting these cards in. I also tried Tomb Raider, it froze after about 30 min and I had to hard reset. The cards were not OC'd. I've done a good amount of troubleshooting and have somewhat hit a wall, I don't know what else to try. Ill try to explain all my trouble shooting I've done as detailed as I can

I tried disabling SLI, that failed.
Then I tried uninstalling all nvidia software and then running driver sweeper in safemode and reinstalling fresh drivers(still using SLI), that failed.
I then took out the bottom card and just used 1 card(I also rolled back 1 driver version when I did this). this failed as well.

Next I just swapped cards(still using 1 card). This is where things get weird. So now I'm using 1 card, and its the card that was originally the bottom card. Playing BF4 for about 2, maybe 3 hours and no freezing at all. I'm thinking hell yea the other card is just a defective card and that's an easy replacement. I wanted to be thorough with my trouble shooting so me and my friend decided to make him a guinea pig. We put the card that we thought was defective into his computer. He has a similar set up to mine. He played for around 5 hours maybe more and not any single indication of any problems on his system. This worried me so I decided I just need to test mine out more. I get on BF4 and it freezes right away, and it starts freezing more frequently after that. I turned off my OC on my cpu so its stock. No change at all still freezing frequently. Im somewhat at a loss of what to do now. I was hoping that the cards were just defective because that's an easy fix. But that doesn't seem like its the case since the original card worked fine in a different system.

Guinea Pig specs
sandy bridge i5 @ 4.6ghz
my 780 ti
Mobo is some ROG variant micro atx 1155 socket(i dont remember exactly which)
8gb ddr3 1600
750w psu
1440p display @110hz

Sorry about the length of this post I tried to be as detailed as I could. I apologize if I left out any details that would be helpful, let me know if you need to know anymore information. Anything helps even if its a hunch I'm open to try just about anything thanks.

Did you try both cards in your friends PC? If you did, and there were no freezing issues with either card (solo or in SLI mode if you can test that way), then that would lead one to believe it's your system at fault.

You've already reverted to stock settings and are still getting freezing. The next step would be to eliminate other components as the culprit. Can you try out a different PSU in your system? So long as it has enough wattage to support at least 1 video card for testing, you want to be sure its not the current PSU that is causing problems. If changing the PSU results in no more freezing, culprit found. If freezing still occurs, then either its the OS, motherboard, ram or CPU.

To test if its the OS, if you can get a spare HDD and install the OS (I'm assuming you are on Windows 7 or 8) and all the relevant updates + drivers, you can start with a clean slate. If you still get freezing when testing, then this would point to the motherboard, ram or CPU.

You can test the ram with MemTest on a USB stick, to eliminate the OS from the equation. If mem passes, then your only other culprits are either CPU or motherboard.

Speaking of motherboard, have you tried a single video card in a slot other then the primary PCIe slot?

Merged threads. Please do not create duplicate threads on the same subject. It tends to confuse those that are helping and waters down responses. :)

I am confused now though... in the first post you say AX860, now in your dupe thread I merged, it says 750W. Which is it?

Merged threads. Please do not create duplicate threads on the same subject. It tends to confuse those that are helping and waters down responses. :)

I am confused now though... in the first post you say AX860, now in your dupe thread I merged, it says 750W. Which is it?

Sorry I clicked on new thread, I didnt know It would merge these. I dont see how its confusing, It says the 750w psu was my friends power supply, I have the 860

I merged the threads... I am was saying not to create duplicate threads. :)

Ok, I see it now where it is your friends rig.

Back