• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External to Internal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheHutchTTU

I had a 3.5" 3TB external hard drive that I decided to try and convert to an internal HDD. It utilized a SATA bridge for power/data, so I was confident that it would not be in an issue.

After removing the external enclosure and connecting the power/SATA cable (to Intel controller), I booted up and went to initialize (GPT), but Windows would not let me. Is this due to the fact that there is data currently on the drive? What steps do I need to execute to achieve this goal? Thanks in advance.

If you don't need the data off it, can you delete the existing partitions?

I do need the data, and apparently initializing a disk erases the data. Maybe I should just keep it external :shrug:

Just move the data off it to another drive, then put it into your desktop and initialize it.
Then just move everything back.

That's the thing, I don't have another drive large enough. Although, Amazon has the same drive listed for $110 + Prime.

Last edited:
Can you assign the drive a letter in Disk Management? How does it show?

How many partitions does it show in the disk management? (start > run > diskmgmt.msc). I know some external 3TB drives will show up as 2TB + 1TB with an MBR instead of GPT, you just don't see it because the firmware on the sata bridge takes care of it.

What external drive is this anyway?

You will need to put it back in the external enclosure. The controller in it must be doing something that prevents you from mounting it internally. If you didn't need the data off the drive, you could just wipe it and assign a drive letter.

Back