• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9370 Freeze and unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bb5unlock

Registered
I still haven't get the settings right to get my AMD stable and freeze free. Tried several Dram settings with no luck, still freezes after 1 minute or sometimes 15 minutes. The cooling (Be quite Dark rock pro 3) shouldnt be the problem, doesn't exceed 45 degrees. I had this problem also while installing Windows 7. I've searched a lot and did some changes but without succes.

Does anyone have a working settings in the bios for this combination? Here is a link with screenshots and Hardware info of my system.

Hardware info link: http://pastebin.com/GHpYq5Nb

CPU-Z info:
cpuz_mem_10.jpg

Thanks in advance

Need the list of system hardware.

If it "freezes" during an install, I'd look at the DVD drive or the HardDrive first. Also running system at stock settings for testing would be a wise choice also.

Ok, i did a whole new Windows 7 installation, I did a DEFAULT Bios setting, the only thing i changed (on advice) was to change to Mode from AHCI to IDE in the HD Settings. The installation went fine, Windows is now much stable then before, but still crashes, especially on installation of software. These are my recent settings, i didn't change a thing in the Bios or in the AI Suite. Would be pleased if someone could check the Ram settings, see screenshots.

Screenshots of info: http://img101.imagevenue.com/galshow.php?gal=gallery_1395615669135_505lo&format=show

Hardware info Complete list: http://pastebin.com/KtNyMdEi

Hardware info:

CPU: AMD FX-9370 (Piledriver/Vishera, OR-C0 (Orochi))
4400 MHz (22.00x200.0) @ 4414 MHz (22.00x200.7)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
Chipset: AMD 990FX (RD990) + SB920/SB950
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 668 MHz, 11.0-11-11-28
- 8192 MB PC19200 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KHX2400C11D3/8GX
- 8192 MB PC19200 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston KHX2400C11D3/8GX
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X
ATI/AMD Radeon R9 270X, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ST1000DM003-1CH162, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: ATI/AMD SB800/Hudson-1 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: ATI/AMD Verde/Heathrow/Chelsea - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Thanks in advance

Mode should be AHCI, not IDE.

Don't install AI Suite, it causes issues.

What case, how many fans, where are they?

Case is Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl , fan front en back, Dark Rock Pro3 CPU fan, them temp of the cpu doesn't exceed about 50 degrees, cooling should be ok, i guess.

I have a 920watt PSU. I think my Ram settings are not ok, i have still the default settings, tried before changing some settings but with no luck.

Get some fans exhausting air from the top two slots for sure.

Go ahead and get HWMonitor, you're going to need it.

Brand is MS_tech 920 Watt ATX power supply. I will give it a shot with a new windows install (AHCI) and raise the voltage. In the attachment i do the DOCP options screenshots as additional info. I didnt touch anything, just took it from AUTO to DOCP.

regards

Attachments

• bios_default.jpg
    bios_default.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 4,275
  • bios_default2.jpg
    bios_default2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4,139
  • bios_default3.jpg
    bios_default3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4,099
  • bios_default4.jpg
    bios_default4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 4,100
  • bios_default5.jpg
    bios_default5.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 4,092
  • bios_default6.jpg
    bios_default6.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 4,097
  • bios_default7.jpg
    bios_default7.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4,113
  • bios_default8.jpg
    bios_default8.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 4,317
  • bios_default9.jpg
    bios_default9.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 4,116
Okay there seem and I say seem some odd circumstances coming together now.
1. About 10 days ago there was a user in the AMD Cpu Forum section having issues getting the socket temps down on an overclocked FX-8320 if my memory is accurate and using one of the 'called' quiet cases Fractal R4. I don't think that user ever responded with temps down and nearly every fan the case would hold.

2. Here we have another Fractal R4 with most likely heat issues.

3. The user "djsmeegy" jumped into the >http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741008 > questions about the 2104 bios for Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and using another of AMD's heater models the FX-9590 cpu. He has since opened a thread in the cooling section about cooling that heat monster since we just about decided his windows issues and inability to install windows and drivers and so forth were heat related.

4. Now we have another user here with an FX-9370 and FD R4 case and an air cooler
thinking the temps are fine. I actually have my doubts that temps are fine. Look at where that BQ DRPro 3 falls down the list below even a CM 212 EVO air cooler. Far below the NH D-14 which I would have my doubts about handling the two big 8 cores out there from AMD.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2764&page=4
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 high << fan speed setting for testing.

Is "bb5unlock" just getting here at an odd time or are there real closely related situations coming to the front now that more people are getting the FX-9370 and 9590 and not ultimately prepared for the heat monsters that they have shown those of us running 5.0Ghz with 8 core FX processors for nearly 2 years now?

Kingston ram has been an issue the last 8 months or so for many AMD users. The OP has 16 gigs of it trying to run it in D. O. C. P. mode. Strange.

Am just trying to get as much information to the front for those trying to assist the OP.
RGone...

EDIT:
I think the only trusted helper in the forums right now with one of the big boy 8 cores is "johan45" and he did not have all these problems with his FX-9370 on Sabertooth 990FX, but he was not using air or baby water. He did have to tweak his ram a bit but he surely never posted such as we have seen lately in forum with the two big heaters from AMD nor did he PM me with such problems. He and most of us do NOT use the later bioses with our 8 core processors but mostly because the older bioses are easier to overclock. Not that they forestall problems with windows installastions etc.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
It's been quite awhile since I've been on these forums. Usually I just read them but I'll give yall my two cents.

My first cent has to do with the processor itself. It was marketed as enthusiast by AMD, yet several times I see the 9370 priced equally as an 8350. While a DRPRO might be able to handle the latter easily, people come to the assumption (like myself) that it can handle a similarly priced option. I believe that's why you've been seeing a lot of this, RGone. The processors aren't meant to be cooled quietly and with cheaper supplement components.

Cent 2 is for the OP. You need to strip down to the bare minimum as much as possible. Remove as much RAM as possible, down to a single stick, and underclock and undervolt that processor until you can get a stable run of anything, safe Temps present. Nothing, I repeat, nothing you do while that machine of yours is unstable can be considered as a fix for anything. Run a memtest to see if the RAMs are good. Rule of thumb: Stability is key. Once you get to a point in which something is "stable" (read: you can do normal stuff AND run a quick prime95 test within normal temp range) you can continue tweaking.

I do not have experience in working with the sabertooth variant , but I had "issues" and "Windows freezes" when I was working on my rig pre-watercooled. Practically everything in the sig is the same as before with a slight decrease in the overclock to 4.7. My RAM is running the four sticks at 2133 with no issues. Unfortunately, my difference is that motherboard isn't the same.

What I have noticed is that the backside of my cpu gets really warm with my chip and mobo combo while under full load. It could be happening to the OP as well as any other person out there, especially if that case doesn't have the proper cable management and ventilation. This could cause a crash due to the fact that the data bus lanes on the mobo are getting overheated corrupting data.

NOTE: It was a bit late when I wrote this. Bear in mind that I'll come back later to elaborate and edit this reply.

Z__U warp 5

Set CPU/NB frequency 2400MHz
Set Hyper transport to 2400MHz or 2600MHz
Change memory voltage to 1.65V
Add CPU/NB voltage until 1.25V
Change Load Line Calibration of CPU/NB to high.
You might want to set CPU LLC to High too and drop your vcore a little bit.
You might want to set Power phase control to Asus optimized if you have updated latest to bios.

If it runs stable try to set memory and timings to their rated max speed.
If you still have problems with stability try to increase CPU/NB voltage little bit more or drop the CPU/NB speed to 2200MHz or 2000MHz

I have found that most random freezes and crashes are caused by CPU/NB voltage being too low for the set memory speed. Running 4 dimms is putting quite a bit of strain on the controller.

Setting the CPU LLC as above *may* damage the board. He doesn't have the prerequisite cooling for the added heat output that I usually experience with higher LLC. That said every board is different and there needs to be a cautious advance to that setting.

As for the CPU/NB, yes. It will have a profound impact because the NB is how the CPU communicates to your RAM which, since he has a known bad RAM kit, is highly advisable.

Take it one step at a time and manually set everything to default speeds. Waza just listed most of them.

Setting the CPU LLC as above *may* damage the board. He doesn't have the prerequisite cooling for the added heat output that I usually experience with higher LLC. That said every board is different and there needs to be a cautious advance to that setting.

As for the CPU/NB, yes. It will have a profound impact because the NB is how the CPU communicates to your RAM which, since he has a known bad RAM kit, is highly advisable.

Take it one step at a time and manually set everything to default speeds. Waza just listed most of them.

CPU LLC at high maintains voltage very close to the bios set voltage at load on this board.
if you read what I wrote completely I also advised to drop the vCore a little bit since there is no need to compensate for the vDrop anymore. :welcome:

are you still unstable while under light load?

if so lets turn off all the green, powersaving stuff, why? at light loads the system lowers vcore and it might be getting to low and causing it to get a little unstable when the load goes up some such as when installing drivers, closing programs and such.
I have run into this myself a time or two.

Hi, i did a bid progress, but not perfectly right. I did the settings from member "Waza" and it freezes a lot less then before, did a new windows 7 install (AHCI) en i have turned of the energy savings (member "caddi caddi").

I have constantly HWMONITOR on, the cpu temp doesn't exceed 52 degrees. I think my cooling is not the problem, still some tweaking necessary in cpu voltage or my RAM. I will try to use my pc and get the result. For notice, i don't try to overclock, i just want a pc that doesn't freezes randomly, it freakes my out :).

Thanks for help so far now, will report soon.

Hi, i did a bid progress, but not perfectly right. I did the settings from member "Waza" and it freezes a lot less then before, did a new windows 7 install (AHCI) en i have turned of the energy savings (member "caddi caddi").

I have constantly HWMONITOR on, the cpu temp doesn't exceed 52 degrees. I think my cooling is not the problem, still some tweaking necessary in cpu voltage or my RAM. I will try to use my pc and get the result. For notice, i don't try to overclock, i just want a pc that doesn't freezes randomly, it freakes my out :).

Thanks for help so far now, will report soon.

I know you feel the PC isn't freezing because of heat but from what I have seen you haven't done anything to try and rule that out. You should try a stability test with P95 blend and leave hwmonitor running so you can capture max volts and max temps for us to see. It's hard to say at this point wether it's the temps or ram or something else since we haven't been given enough info to make any conclusions from. Just the fact that you have set the CPU_NB to 1.2v and it's crashing less to me is an indication of a possible heat issue.
I say this because ulike some may think the factory vid on my 9370s CPU_NB is 1.45v not the 1.15 that is common with the FX 8xxx. So dropping .25v is signifigant enough in my opinion to help cool things off a bit.
If it were me and this is how I approached my 9370, I would start byt putting the multi at 22.5 for a clock of 4.5. Set the CPU voltage manually to 1.4v. Then set the CPU_NB speed to 2200 and voltage to 1.2 as Mandrake had suggested. This should be stable enough to do some stress testing and get an idea of your temps.
I suggest this approach since there aren't alot of FX cpus that come through here that can maintain a 4.7 clock on air with decent temps but the majority can handle 4.5G
The stock clock of 4.7 with 5.0 turbo is going to seriously out gun that air cooler bb5unlock. No offense but it's like taking a knife to a gun fight. You're gonna lose.
If you follw these suggestions it should get you running and then maybe we'll be able to rule out some of the variables.

If it were me and this is how I approached my 9370, I would start byt putting the multi at 22.5 for a clock of 4.5. Set the CPU voltage manually to 1.4v. Then set the CPU_NB speed to 2200 and voltage to 1.2 as Mandrake had suggested. This should be stable enough to do some stress testing and get an idea of your temps.
I suggest this approach since there aren't alot of FX cpus that come through here that can maintain a 4.7 clock on air with decent temps but the majority can handle 4.5G
This is a great suggestion^^^^^^

Hi, i know that is is frustrating when there is info missing in my post, but i didn't had the chance to use my pc normally too do tests. But i have good progression, i followed your instructions, the cpu voltage is now 1.4 and all the suggestions you made before, thank you for that.

My pc is now testing, runs 3 hours now (not finished yet). Hardmonitor is on, and Prime95 is doing stress test (option 3, default "Blend"). It hasn't froozen till now, hope it will not. I will post the result and settings if it is done. The only thing is that 22.5X (4500MHZ) did not work, it frooze at test 3 (63 degrees). I took it down to 20 (4000MHZ) and since then it is running. So it looks stable at the moment, normally it freezes after 5 minutes. BY the way the CPU is running 100% since 3 hours and the CPU heat is about 70-74 degrees. Should i change cooling to liquid? So yes, which brand/type?

Let you know all when i am done, will also test a game before posting.

Regards

Back