• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED At wits end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

Completely lost on this one. Modern vid cards don't work in mb?

Symptom: When I boot the computer, I cannot get any signal to either monitor using any cable, connection combination. Tried just one DVI, 1 HDMI, 2 DVI, 1 DVI + 1 HDMI, etc.

Gigabyte H77m-D3H w/3570k all at stock settings (mb doesn't OC). MB is only 2 years old (supports 1155 CPU). Has an x16 and an x4 PCI-E slot (tried both during troubleshooting).

My HD4830 and HD4850 video cards work fine in the computer. Tried several newer but used cards including 7770oc and 7790oc. Turns out they were bad when I tried them in another computer. Explains what is wrong with them.

Bought a brand new in the box R7 260x from Newegg. It acts exactly like the 2 bad cards in my computer (no signal to monitors) but does work in an old HP at the office. R7 is not bad so that problem is removed.

Question remains: why won't the R7 work in my computer? Other video cards, known to be good, work.

Thought it might be the power supply? Old PS on the HP at work is old fortron 300w (where it worked). PS in my computer is brand new Corsair 500w. Power supply calculators indicate I only need 325w max.

Any ideas? I'm totally lost on this one. Tired of buying cards and having to return them.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on that motherboard?

I had this same problem with a low end ecs board recently. I suspect that the motherboard cannot supply the required current. Does the card have a 6pin connector?

I just returned the motherboard, but that isn't an option for you.

I think updating the BIOS did the trick. I seem to have it working with the appropriate new drivers installed for windows. Need to give it a workout with some games to make sure windows side is working but at least the system lights up the monitors at boot!!

Thanks to all who responded!!

Back