• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get passed 4.0 on 4670k + ASRock Z87E-ITX!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

This is going to be the death of me I swear! So I can boot all day @ 4.0Ghz w/ 1.200v...

I can run Prime95 and no issues at all, temps are great, about 55c load...

Now, if I change to 4.2 or 4.3. or 4.4 I can still boot, but cannot bench, about 5 seconds into the bench it will just reboot, no blue screen, nothing. Just reboot...

I can get back to bios, and the system POSTs but that's about it....

I have tried raising the vcore in .10 increments from the beginning 1.2 which was ok @ 4.0, all the way to 1.300 with the 4.2 setting and no luck... I think I actually get a little further into windows with lower vcore... But could just be me...

Here are my specs right now running at the 4.0. (The bios screens are what I am trying at 4.2 (every setting is same at the 4.0 curent setup, except the vcore on bios screenshots is at 1.275)

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Specs are in sig (pc part picker ITX)

cpuz-4670-5.JPG

cpuz-4670-6.JPG

cpuz-4670-7.JPG

cpuz-4670-8.JPG

Try a little more system agent voltage, like around 1.2v. Is the memory timings and voltage set correctly? you could try setting it manually instead of using XMP. Also, try disabling all the C-States and EIST.

Timings are at 1333 instead of the default for the ram (2133) I thought it was always best to start low with ram and nail cpu speed first? No?

Load temps on the 4.0 are 58c give or take a couple.

Thanks for the quick replies

You might also try adjusting the LLC to keep the voltage steady.

So what should next steps be? Just a bit more playing? I would think I would be able to get a little more out of this?! I'm hoping I'm not hitting a brick wall at 4.0!!

I gave you a few things to try, you did all those already?

No, I'm asking should I do those steps all at once or try your first suggestion first then add in the second? Was just curious. I'll give it a go thanks.

That CPU should be able to handle 2133 MHz memory without a problem. Try a 42x multiplier, cache ratio set to 39x, system agent to 1.2v, and set the memory timings, voltage, and speed manually. Also, what exact memory is that?

That CPU should be able to handle 2133 MHz memory without a problem. Try a 42x multiplier, cache ratio set to 39x, system agent to 1.2v, and set the memory timings, voltage, and speed manually. Also, what exact memory is that?
Corsair vengeance pro 2133 2x4gb
For rebooting I would check out the PSU also.

A cx500 is more than capable for what I am running.... There is no way I am exceeding 500 at load.

It should work at almost everything set to auto. At least it's working without issues on my ASRock.
Try something like this:
- clean CMOS
- enter BIOS and set XMP profile
- change CPU ratio to manual / all cores x42
- change CPU voltage to 1.25V
- change memory voltage to 1.65V
- change LLC to 1 or 2
- enable internal PLL

If blue screen happens then remember its number or check error log ( sometimes it restarts so fast that you can't even see blue screen ).

If above settings will boot with Command Rate 1N and it won't work then try 2N manually.

These new ASRock boards are generally optimized for overclocking and are probably the easiest series to overclock as most auto settings are optimal when you are raising CPU or memory clocks.

It should work at almost everything set to auto. At least it's working without issues on my ASRock.
Try something like this:
- clean CMOS
- change LLC to 1 or 2
- enable internal PLL

If blue screen happens then remember its number or check error log ( sometimes it restarts so fast that you can't even see blue screen ).

If above settings will boot with Command Rate 1N and it won't work then try 2N manually.

These new ASRock boards are generally optimized for overclocking and are probably the easiest series to overclock as most auto settings are optimal when you are raising CPU or memory clocks.

Thanks! :thup: What is Command Rate 1N & 2N?

Thanks! :thup: What is Command Rate 1N & 2N?

Can also be seen as 1T or 2T on some boards. It's one of your ram timings, you should find it near the end of your timing list in bios. As for the LLC, I would just follow Woomacks guideline.

Can also be seen as 1T or 2T on some boards. It's one of your ram timings, you should find it near the end of your timing list in bios. As for the LLC, I would just follow Woomacks guideline.

Cool, thanks. I'll check that.

LLC 1 = closer to what you set manually ( lower drop ), LLC 5 = farther from what you set ... so when you set 1.2V using LLC 1 you get something like ~1.18-1.21V ( example , can be something else but not far from 1.2V ). When you set LLC 5 then voltage can be much lower like 1.15V instead of 1.20V and differences between load and idle voltage can be higher what can cause some instability.
In normal work, without higher OC it's helping to keep lower temps and lower power usage but no one cares about it while overclocking.

Try something like this:
- clean CMOS
- change LLC to 1 or 2
- enable internal PLL

Well did everything you suggested and even tinkered a little bit. Keeps blue screening at login screen with whea_uncorrectable_error

Check log if there is any number with that blue screen ending on 124, 50, 101, F4 or some other.

Back