• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Build QC please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

Hey everyone, it's that time again!

I've decided to save up and build a new pc from scratch. My last two have been Asus ROG laptops, and, I never took them anywhere. I've decided to build a gaming pc from the ground up. So, I need everything except a keyboard and mouse. I don't do anything other than gaming, and very minor photography editing. Please critique, and if for any reason I'm missing something, don't hesitate to point it out. Also, I do plan on playing with OC'ing with this, it will be my real first opportunity to have some fun and explore.

This build came in a little over my budget, but, I think the upgrades I made should be worth it for the extra money spent. I was aiming for around $1200 for everything. I could just save for an extra month or so and get this system. I'd like, in the future, to upgrade to a GTX780 and maybe an i7-4770k, but, those may be frivolous for the time being.

UPDATED:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($402.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($121.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ TigerDirect)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1510.73

Last edited:
Looks good to me, that is what I would pick except the cooler people have complained allot about Corsair H100i. AIO are not much better than air coolers. I would go with Noctua NH-D14 and low profile memory.

You know all the things on your list will let you overclock.

^^ like what wingman said...the Corsair RAM will be good but I also don't like the H100. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will be fine for you. As for the Graphics card, the GTX 770 will be all right, but try to get a 4GB card instead of 2GB one. Aside from that, your build looks perfect. For 1080p gaming, you won't need a GTX 780 and an i7 4770K.

Thanks guys, I updated with the recommendations. I also changed the case from black/red to white/black. Somehow, the white contrast leaped out at me. I especially liked the white fans.

I've been reading a lot of threads in a lot of different forums. I purpose chose what I thought would help me get into overclocking without me having to do or try anything crazy my first time out of the box.

I suppose, I have to ask myself, (and everyone else) Getting a 4gb 770, is that wise? or should I just save and get the extra $80 and buy the 3gb 780? Right now, my goal is 1080p, but, I have a habit of always wanting to go up to the next stage.

I suppose, I have to ask myself, (and everyone else) Getting a 4gb 770, is that wise? or should I just save and get the extra $80 and buy the 3gb 780? Right now, my goal is 1080p, but, I have a habit of always wanting to go up to the next stage.

In that case I would purchase the GTX 780.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($121.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ TigerDirect)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1575.74

It seems there is a combo on Newegg for my RAM selection and GTX780. Can pick up the classified for only $65 more than the 770 build.

Also, what's the "best" thermal stuff now? And, are there any other odds and ends I should look out for?

Well, a friend of mine is going to lend me a 21" Samsung HD Monitor. That'll cut my build by $270. Bringing my total to $1300 for the time being. This will allow me to get the parts sooner, and then I can just save up for a higher resolution Monitor, skipping 1080p all together.

Now, I need to save up another $400 and get everything.

Is it true that the GTX780's should be lowering in price soon-ish? The new models are on the horizon?

rts games and overclocking

hi guys ive been playing medieval 2 total war with the third age mod and was wondering what holds me back when it comes to huge baattles with 8k plus troops my cpu or gpu? i have an i7 4820k 3.70ghz with a turbo boost which puts it at 3.90 or is it my gtx 780 ftw gpu.

hi guys ive been playing medieval 2 total war with the third age mod and was wondering what holds me back when it comes to huge baattles with 8k plus troops my cpu or gpu? i have an i7 4820k 3.70ghz with a turbo boost which puts it at 3.90 or is it my gtx 780 ftw gpu.

Clamps, it's probably best to start your own thread considering it doesn't have anything to do with the topic gravitywell started here.

Last edited:
Look at some G.SKILL Ares RAM or the Vengeance LP, you don't want those tall heatsinks on your RAM just for cooler compatibility.

Look at some G.SKILL Ares RAM or the Vengeance LP, you don't want those tall heatsinks on your RAM just for cooler compatibility.

Hmm. I never thought about that. Are those going to interfere with the height of the Coolermaster 212 EVO?

The Vengeance Pro are pretty tall with that heatsink, but I never considered they would be that close to the processor to interfere with the Cpu cooler.

Hmm. I never thought about that. Are those going to interfere with the height of the Coolermaster 212 EVO?

The Vengeance Pro are pretty tall with that heatsink, but I never considered they would be that close to the processor to interfere with the Cpu cooler.
They will fit however the top of the memory will be in the air flow of the 212 EVO.

Would this obstruct the airflow on the cpu too badly? Would it actually help cool the ram? Both?

Which memory would be best for my first OC? The Vengeance LP or the G.Skill?

Would this obstruct the airflow on the cpu too badly? Would it actually help cool the ram? Both?

Which memory would be best for my first OC? The Vengeance LP or the G.Skill?
Well the memory will run about 33c at 1.5v in my personal opinion it will cool the memory with the air going through the memory fins a little, however it will heat the air going to the CPU cooler (212 EVO) a little.

Memory is Memory, G.SKILL Ares RAM or the Vengeance LP have the same performance as the Vengeance Pro Series so long as you have the same timings and speed.

I have heard good things about G.SKILL service.

Either RAM should be just fine, but I know the modder's bug will bite when you start OCing.
Its not as much about blocking airflow as that eventually you'll want a bigger/better cooler, and if you stick to air you'll want lower RAM for future compatibility.

I've always run G.SKILL, and I've had some Corsair, both worked just fine.
Like wingman said, as long as the speed and timings are the same it'll all run the same.

Just a minor update, I ordered the case today. My friend with the monitor also brought me a couple of 750gb Caviar Black HD's I can use for storage. I can use those until I buy the SSD.

Ha. Nothing yet. It's going to be a weird pacing for the build. I have $300 sitting in a spare savings account that I haven't decided what to spend it on just yet. And, my brother owes me $500 at the end of the month. Plus, I over-paid two credit cards so I'll be getting a refund from them for about $100. Hopefully, by the end of the month, I'll have $900 towards it. After that, it'll just be whatever spare money I have to finish it out.

I'm trying to organize and see what I have that can "make do" until I get the real part, like the HD's and Monitor.

Back