• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Fax ... Alternatives to native CrapFax app?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
As with a couple of other things, like using the Windows search engine or using windows for work, I reboot from Windows 8 into Windows XP when I need to fax something. There's nothing I can do about other things but sending a simple fax should work under Windows 8.

Windows 8 was complaining about not having shimgvw.dll to send faxes. I found it elsewhere then, being logged in under a real Administrator Account, I had to go to C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local and create folder Tempindir and inside it create folder system32 then copy shimgvw.dll to it.

That got it to work.... unless something goes wrong when sending a fax... at which point there is no obvious way to simply resend the fax already in the out box. Why?! facepalm.gif

You have to wait specified number of minutes for it to automatically resend the fax. This sucks.

Are there any easy Windows 8 Fax programs, we don't ask for much, just a quick browse to the page needed to be faxed and ability to send/resend anything in the outbox with a simple right-click.

Windows 8 Fax was poorly coded, double clicking on a shortcut doesn't take you to the shortcut's destination - Windows 8 Fax thinks you want to actually Fax that shortcut and adds the shortcut itself as something you attached to fax (!!) Amateur hour again when it comes to crucial tools for business on Windows 8.

Old fax programs which work are compatible with Windows XP but not Windows 8. Like I said, I usually reboot into Windows XP from Windows 8 but this is ridiculous.

Typically it does not work, but can you try to run the programs that work for xp under W8 with compatibility on for xp?

Are these files already on the computer, or are you scanning?
As I know there are many sites for free/paid services online.. in worst case scenarios.

Or maybe even do a VM if the system can handle it, rather then having to reboot, etc.

Its 2014, not 1994... scan it. :p

Being serious, this is something I could use a solution for as well... would help me to stop using the fax machine at the office. That said, I do not have a land line at home, so it would have to be through the interweb.

Last edited:

Being serious, this is something I could use a solution for as well... would help me ditch the fax machine in the house as I do not have a quad boot (nor will I) setup like the OP.

Things like faxzero can be free for pdf's. But the free versions put a header ontop of your fax.. but otherwise works perfect.

I am quite honestly shocked google not offer a fax service, like their google voice, etc.

kyij, yes of course. Old Fax programs I have do not work under Windows 8 under any circumstances. Files are usually on my computer, I usually scan separately and save the files for record keeping anyway, then simply attach the already scanned files.

Like I said, by simply rebooting into Windows XP, all my fax problems are resolved, this isn't about faxing using other means, but other than http://faxorama.com/
which limits you to two 5 pages faxes per day, you can post which other sites you personally tried and confirmed they work.

On my system I reboot in less than two minutes and am inside Windows XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 on my quadruple boot. No need for VM for me, I get the real deal relatively quickly. I know how to do all that. This is about native Windows 8 Fax usage, I want to figure it out.

Being serious, this is something I could use a solution for as well... would help me to stop using the fax machine at the office. That said, I do not have a land line at home, so it would have to be through the interweb.

Didn't get that one, scan it as opposed to what?

I've tried many free fax services using internet connection instead of phone line but have only found http://faxorama.com/ to be reliable. Of course there is a limit if you want to use it for free.

Didn't get that one, scan it as opposed to what?

I've tried many free fax services using internet connection instead of phone line but have only found http://faxorama.com/ to be reliable. Of course there is a limit if you want to use it for free.

Scan & email ;)

Pretty lame how you need to boot into XP to fax. :bang head
But... I have no solution either. Maybe I can dig something up for you.

I'm sure you guys realize that it is up to the recipient to offer the email option and that there are many places that give you *only* the fax option, heck for resubmitting rebates just to name one example, FAX is required, the don't give you the email option, knowing how much harder it is to fax.

But we are not talking about third party email us then we'll fax it for you services, I know about those, although that is useful to know which ones there are, and we are not even talking about using Fax on Windows 8, I did get it to work.

I am just surprised there are no reliable, good third party Fax programs for Windows 8 since the native Fax app on Windows 8 eventually does work, but suxxors, as far as basic options are concerned.

I'm sure you guys realize that it is up to the recipient to offer the email option and that there are many places that give you *only* the fax option, heck for resubmitting rebates just to name one example, FAX is required, the don't give you the email option, knowing how much harder it is to fax.

But we are not talking about third party email us then we'll fax it for you services, I know about those, although that is useful to know which ones there are, and we are not even talking about using Fax on Windows 8, I did get it to work.

I am just surprised there are no reliable, good third party Fax programs for Windows 8 since the native Fax app on Windows 8 eventually does work, but suxxors, as far as basic options are concerned.

Yeah, some googleing found nothing useful, I'm shocked that their's no other alternative...

So may I ask, how are you currently faxing? Like do you have a scanner attached to your computer or some sort of modem..?

We do. Its been years since I was unable to scan/email to anyone except for ONE thing in my life (pediatrician). The last rebate I sent in was via snail mail since it requires the ACTUAL UPC symbol, but I scanned the information and when they gave me fits about it, I emailed them the scan and all was well.

I do understand that in some cases it is still the only option...as mentioned, I have a straggler in my life as well (thankfully its rare). Just making sure that the blinders were not on when searching for a solution. Its easy to miss other things when focused on one goal... at least for me. ;)

I will keep an eye out for the solution in this thread.

So may I ask, how are you currently faxing? Like do you have a scanner attached to your computer or some sort of modem..?

Yes. I have a modem in the PCI slot, the scanner is attached to the computer. Everything is connected to the PC, even the big screen Plasma TV through a long HDMI cable. I have a Blu Ray burner which allows me to watch even blu-ray DVDs on the big screen while using the main computer monitor for everything else, including faxing.

Interestingly I have no real land line however. NetTALK device, unlike MagicJack, allows fax signals to go through their "land line" service which is provided through the internet.

NetTALK has NON EXISTENT customer service however, so if the NetTALK device works, you're set - if it doesn't, you're better off buying another one because you will not get help from their virtually non-existent customer service.

We do. Its been years since I was unable to scan/email to anyone except for ONE thing in my life (pediatrician).

Yes, your life experience does not correspond to mine.
I just needed to fax health insurance info the other day. Faxing your social security and other info is safer than emailing it by the way.

I do not use a fax often - but I definitely have a need for it, due to the recipients requiring it.

I get all my rebates because I never complain and always simply ask what the procedure is to resubmit my rebate (even though I know their excuses are bogus) and on many occasions, my life experience is that I have been specifically told that I could NOT email to resubmit and MUST use fax - clearly to reduce the number of rebates issued through the resubmittal process since there are a lot of people who think faxes are no longer needed and therefore do not have them and it is a hustle for them to fax something. Rebate people know this so that is why they require faxes sometimes.

But it is legitimately more secure to fax than email sensitive info. And for work, people do have a need to fax, even today.

Just for grins, how often do you fax?

I ask only because when I need to fax something, rare for me but more frequent for my mother-in-law and I help her, it may be simply easier to go to a local business you're familiar with. Friendly businesses, those that you frequent, are likely to say yes as long as you don't wear it out. A Mail-boxes R Us store front type business is another option, and pay the occasional nominal fee. Of course, having the option built in to your PC is convenient as long as your frustration levels are up to the task.

:)

More than ten years ago I discovered the hard way that you cannot connect your cell phone to your laptop and fax a document. I contacted every cell phone carrier and first of all, nobody even knew, I had to push hard to get a reply, it took weeks for each of them to admit their cell phone service dd not support fax transmissions (for whatever reason).

It's cool, I'm just saying that this issue has been ignored because people think there's no need for it... because they have no need for it... yet there is a need for it because developers don't make products based on their own habits but to satisfy needs of the market. And there is a market for a basic fax program with basic options for Windows 8.

What about: http://www.essentialfax.com/?

Not free, but 30-day trial.. Perhaps you can just re-install every 30 days? :D

Seems legit. But I don't have a scanner and modem on hand. Found a serial key easily too......

Last edited:
Good to know.

To clarify: The frustration is directed at Microsoft developers, not my ability to fax, which I can do both on Windows 8 and by rebooting into Windows XP - if I want to have extra options like ability to quickly and simply resubmit a fax if it encounters a busy signal on the other end.

Back