• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780: a noticeable improvement over my 6970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

The GTX780 doubled my minimum FPS in the Stalker: Clear Sky benchmark and cleared up a severe FPS drop I was having in a Left 4 Dead 2 map.

It's just too bad the one game I wanted to see an improvement in doesn't even work w/the GTX 780 (Fallout 3). I'm probably going to have to re-install it.

I can finally add some MSAA to games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, which I couldn't do before.

I've had too many video upgrades that made absolutely no noticeable differences at all: 9500 Pro to 9800 Pro to x850xt. First time I've gone green since my GeForce 2 GTS/Pro.

Crysis 2 used a little over 2 GiB of VRAM on my 6970, now it uses nearly 3 GiB on the GTX 780 (3027 GiB).

Fall out 3 doesn't work with gtx 780? First time I've heard this. .. runs fine on my machine and I have a good amount of mods.... I would try to reinstall the game.

6970 to a gtx 780 is a pretty sizeable upgrade. I came from a 7970 to a 780 and notice a huge improvement in all games.

I've experienced drops in FPS in certain locations in Fallout 3 regardless of the setup (From a HD4850 mobility to the GTX680), and looking at GPU load revealed that I wasn't even at 100% usage, on the latter at least (nor was I hitting my VRAM cap).

I think it may be due to the game engine more than anything, as you can get better performance out of current graphically superior games.

Saw the title and my first thought, "I sure hope so!" :p

Nice upgrade though. Makes me all the more glad I went with the 3GB card when I built my system.

Fall out 3 doesn't work with gtx 780? First time I've heard this. .. runs fine on my machine and I have a good amount of mods.... I would try to reinstall the game.

6970 to a gtx 780 is a pretty sizeable upgrade. I came from a 7970 to a 780 and notice a huge improvement in all games.

Would you post the contents of your RendererInfo.txt file? Mine still refers
to a 6970. The file is located in:
F:\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3

I'm thinking I need the RendererInfo.txt file for a GTX 780.

Would you post the contents of your RendererInfo.txt file? Mine still refers
to a 6970. The file is located in:
F:\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3

I'm thinking I need the RendererInfo.txt file for a GTX 780.

Not sure if this will help.... but here are the contents of my rendererinfo.txt

Renderer Device Information:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
nvd3dum.dll
RenderPath : BSSM_SV_2_A
PSversion : 300
VSversion : 300
VStarget : vs_2_0
PStarget : ps_2_a
PS2xtarget : ps_2_a
maxPS20inst : 512
3.0 Support : yes