• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At landfill found a Asrock Conroe865PE with a Core 2 Quad Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisjames61

I know this is a relatively old rig. I was wondering what I could expect as far as an overclock? It has a massive aftermarket cpu heatsink with fans in push-pull. It has 3 gigs of ddr 2, an ati 512 meg agp card. I thought it might be fun to tinker with. The board doesn't have heat sinked vrm's or anything like that. I bet it still would be a decent every day general computer for email, web surfing. I am debating Windows 7 or Mint Linux?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends on the stepping - if it is a G0 then it has the potential for 3.6GHz or more. If it is an older stepping, then I am not as sure but I'd imagine in the region of 3GHz. You can check by getting CPU-z in Windows, not sure about Linux (Alternatively you can look at the CPU itself to obtain stepping information).

I know this is a relatively old rig. I was wondering what I could expect as far as an overclock? It has a massive aftermarket cpu heatsink with fans in push-pull. It has 3 gigs of ddr 2, an ati 512 meg agp card. I thought it might be fun to tinker with. The board doesn't have heat sinked vrm's or anything like that. I bet it still would be a decent every day general computer for email, web surfing. I am debating Windows 7 or Mint Linux?

Thanks.

I want to know which land fill.

Becasue I can't even take a DEAD mobo from the dump becasue of "privacy issues" even though the motherboard is dead and has no memory or hard drives. :bang head

Sorry, about that. I hate the way my township operates. Nothing they do makes sense.

/RANT

As for your question, overclock it, and make it fold for team32! :thup:

Yeah, in that era the unlocked CPUs were designated extreme. FSB was much easier to OC back then though, so 400MHz+ shouldn't be out of the question.

Given the age of that board and its chipset, I suspect you would be limited to 3GHz (333MHz x 9). You might be able to get to 3.2GHz if you are lucky. The real limiting factor is the board, as it is an older board with DDR/DDR1 memory, and the Intel 865 chipset is not one that is known for getting great overclocks with the C2Q processors if memory serves me correctly.

On another note, I am myself currently limited to 3.2GHz (356MHz x 9) with my Q6600, and that is only because my board doesn't like overclocking beyond 333MHz.

About a month ago I scavenged a Mac Pro and sold it on Craigslist the next day for $910.

You really do like to rub it in, don't you?

Wish I could stumble upon profits like those. I'm still trying to sell the PC's I bought and refurbished.

Alright, what's the address for this landfill? I'm driving there NOW!!!!

:drool::eek: Nice profits!!!!!!!

Would be a long drive from Canada to Connecticut in the USA, though I wouldn't blame you for making the trip, given profits like those.

Are these core two quads locked? All I find is an option to raise the FSB.
Yes, that is normal. The QX6800 (Core 2 Extreme) is the only multiplier unlocked quad in LGA775 that I am aware of. If you want to overclock a Q6600 you'll need to raise the FSB to do it.

If you're not seeing any option to change the multiplier at all it could be a limitation of the board's BIOS or the board itself.

Given the age of that board and its chipset, I suspect you would be limited to 3GHz (333MHz x 9). You might be able to get to 3.2GHz if you are lucky. The real limiting factor is the board, as it is an older board with DDR/DDR1 memory, and the Intel 865 chipset is not one that is known for getting great overclocks with the C2Q processors if memory serves me correctly.

On another note, I am myself currently limited to 3.2GHz (356MHz x 9) with my Q6600, and that is only because my board doesn't like overclocking beyond 333MHz.

You really do like to rub it in, don't you?

Wish I could stumble upon profits like those. I'm still trying to sell the PC's I bought and refurbished.

Would be a long drive from Canada to Connecticut in the USA, though I wouldn't blame you for making the trip, given profits like those.

Yes, that is normal. The QX6800 (Core 2 Extreme) is the only multiplier unlocked quad in LGA775 that I am aware of. If you want to overclock a Q6600 you'll need to raise the FSB to do it.

If you're not seeing any option to change the multiplier at all it could be a limitation of the board's BIOS or the board itself.

Can someone explain this to me? These 775 boards. Is the FSB default 200? With a 9x multiplier these processors don't even run at their default speeds? Am I missing something?

I want to know which land fill.

Becasue I can't even take a DEAD mobo from the dump becasue of "privacy issues" even though the motherboard is dead and has no memory or hard drives. :bang head

Yikes! They're just being dumb! That's just BULL to say that a board results in a privacy violation. They only need to worry about HDDs and the like.

Can someone explain this to me? These 775 boards. Is the FSB default 200? With a 9x multiplier these processors don't even run at their default speeds? Am I missing something?

CPU's have a speed step. You have to load the CPU with a program, then it will run full speed.

The answer is quite simple really if anyone had taken the time to read the specs for that board on the Asrock site.

FSB 1066**

**Supported by overclocking mode

This means that you will have to manually set the FSB to 266 for your Q6600 to run @ stock speeds.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/conroe865pe/

Back